We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Chiusi travel questions

Which Chiusi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 66
Rome to Chiusi travel questions

I'm looking at a flight landing at Rome Fiumicino at 2045 on a Friday night in June - I then have to get to somewhere in Montepulciano, and have been advised that the best way to do this is to get a train to Chiusi.

I was wondering what the steps are for this -- how long to get between the airport and train station in Rome, what time the trains to Chiusi are, and whether I need to book in advance. I've had a look at the Trenitalia website, but it's not being helpful. Finally, is it advisable to book a taxi to take me onwards from Chiusi?

Would appreciate any advice! Many thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
1. Re: Rome to Chiusi travel questions

You can't see schedules for so far in advance. You will have a choice of numerous trains which take between roughly 1.5 - 2 hours.

You can check to see the basic schedule, which is unlikely to change much by then, by going to www.trenitalia.com and putting in Roma Termini to Chiusi-Chianciano Terme though right now, it looks like the last train is at 22:35. From FCO, you can take the Leonardo Express train directly to Roma Termini (cost is 14 euros and takes about 35 minutes).

A taxi would take an average of 45 minutes but, of course, that will depend on traffic.

You would likely be arriving very late if you get that last train, so I personally would choose a taxi to wherever you are going - what are your other options?

Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 1
2. Re: Rome to Chiusi travel questions

That's quite a challenge. If you land on time, bags come through on time, you've pre-purchased your tickets, etc you might make the 22:35. That said, I've got a feeling there's an additional later train in summer - something like 23.50 - that gets you into Chiusi around 01.30. Cabs wait for the last Rome train outside the station but there are very few of them so you'd be best to pre-book a car to meet you. Personally, I'd overnight at FCO or one of the numerous OK value hotels close to Termini and then head up to Tuscany the next morning. Incidentally, what are you doing for transportation once you get to Montepulciano? You'll need / want a car here.

Latina, Italy
3. Re: Rome to Chiusi travel questions

Lastraniera knows all there is to know about that area. Take her advice. If you are still *looking* at flights, I'd look for an earlier one. In my experience, European flights tend to accumulate delays during their daily schedules and evening/night arrivals can be late.

Sarteano, Italy
reviews: 24
4. Re: Rome to Chiusi travel questions

Do you plan to rent a car during your stay in Montepulciano? In which case, you could overcome the problem of late trains and few taxis by renting a car from the airport and drive up. In any case, to have a car to get around the Tuscan countryside and small beautiful villages, is almost a must unless, of course, you are staying with friends who will be supplying you with transportation. Otherwise I too would recommend you try to find an earlier flight in order to prevent difficulties upon arrival at Chiusi. If you wold like a number of a taxi driver stationed outside Chiusi station, I could obtain a number for you and post it on this site later, if that would help?

5. Re: Rome to Chiusi travel questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 25, 2014