We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence or Rome airport?

Which Chiusi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Beckermet, United...
reviews: 1
Florence or Rome airport?

I wish to travel in late June to Sarteano in Tuscany (by public transport as far as possible) and have identified the nearest railway station as Chiusi-Chianciano.

Any advice on whether it's better to use Florence or Rome airport and any other tips on the journey would be appreciated. Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Florence or Rome airport?

I don't think it matters. From Rome FCO airport, you have to take a train to Rome Termini station and change for a train to Chiusi. From Rome CIA airport, you take a bus to Termini and then a train. From Florence airport, you take a bus to Florence Santa Maria Novella station, then a train.

Beckermet, United...
2. Re: Florence or Rome airport?

Thanks. Was initially advised Florence but there are no direct flights from the UK north or Scotland to Florence so Rome FCO would probably suit me best. Suppose I am looking for the journey that poses the least chance of getting lost/confused as I don't speak Italian.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
3. Re: Florence or Rome airport?

You should be fine. Train stations have departure screens, similar to those at airports, headed "Partenze". These show the departure time, the train number (on your ticket for all fast trains), the final destination (which may be beyond where you are going to), and the platform (binario) that will be used.

Montepulciano, Italy
4. Re: Florence or Rome airport?

I personally think Florence would be slightly easier but if there aren't any direct flights than you're stuck with FCO which, as Nick rightly points out, isn't that difficult either. My only comment having done it many times is that the train from FCO brings you into a platform 30 something whilst the Florence (ie Chiusi) trains go from a very low number (platform 7 or 5). A couple of trains in the mid afternoon even go from a platform about 400 yards down the street beyond platform 1, which is right over the opposite side of the station. Do ensure you have luggage with wheels. Possibly I'm dreaming but aren't there also announcements in English at Termini? There certainly are at Chiusi. Be ever so careful with your valuables at this station for it's notorious territory for pickpockets. There are slow trains and fast trains and the difference in time (and price) is considerable. Once you get to Chiusi, the bus station is just outside on the left. It's not far up to Sarteano, it's about 15 mins in the car and it's a really nice drive through olive groves with grogeous views once you get beyond the A1 intersection, but I'm not sure how frequent the bus is.

Savannah, GA
reviews: 15
5. Re: Florence or Rome airport?

Have you looked at flying into Pisa airport? The Terravision bus or train to Florence and thence onward?

6. Re: Florence or Rome airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:40 am, June 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Chiusi