We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to castellina in chianti and also April 25 holiday

Which Castellina In Chianti hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 1
getting to castellina in chianti and also April 25 holiday

My husband to be and I are spending some time in Castellina in Chianti for our honeymoon. We will be coming from Cinque Terre. I though we could get a train but it is looking a little problematic and the are no stations in the town and buses seem irregular (from what I can find). If anyone could provide advice if they have taken public transport for this route, I would really appreciate it. Or if anyone has hired a car from la spezia or lucca and driven to the Chianti region, I would love to hear about your experience.

Thank-you very much!

7 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
1. Re: getting to castellina in chianti and also April 25 holiday

Oh and I forgot! Does everything shut down on April 25? Thanks again!

South Australia
reviews: 12
2. Re: getting to castellina in chianti and also April 25 holiday

Enter the name of the Cinque Terre village where you will be staying, as train departure point and for destination Siena www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Check over the next seven days for train times.

www.cinqueterreonline.com

Car rental Siena www.autoeurope.com.au

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

You will require an International driving permit for Italy, check with the RACV

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

www.discovertuscany.com

www.castellina.com

There is a bus from Castellina to Siena www.busfox.com/timetable

Edited: 9:40 pm, March 03, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
3. Re: getting to castellina in chianti and also April 25 holiday

There are car rental agencies at La Spezia, Lucca and Siena. However, if you want to pick up on 25 April, you may have to collect the car at Pisa airport or Florence airport.

AutoEurope is an agency that arranges cheap rentals with the major companies: www.autoeurope.com

Castellina in...
reviews: 10
4. Re: getting to castellina in chianti and also April 25 holiday

25 April is a MAJOR holiday here and most places will be closed. You could take the train to Florence and then a taxi to the airport to pick up a car. Getting to Castellina from Florence by public transport is a hassle at the best of times and will be basically impossible on 25 April.

Melbourne, Australia
5. Re: getting to castellina in chianti and also April 25 holiday

Thanks everyone for the prompt reply. The autoeurope website has much better prices than what I had been looking at. We're going to pick up the car on the 24th of April. Will anything be open on the 25th of April? Restaurants, supermarkets? Are there any special celebrations?

Also same question applied for the 1st of May too.

Thanks again!

Castellina in...
reviews: 10
6. Re: getting to castellina in chianti and also April 25 holiday

Panzano is quite near you and they have a great festival on 25 April:

panzano.com/important-dates/important-dates-…

1 May - lots of festivals and processions all over Tuscany, but I always go to Torniella - here's why: http://www.casa-reasco.com/

Supermarkets will be closed on 25 April. It's a bigger holiday than Christmas day in Italy. 1 May comes close behind.

Mississauga, ON
reviews: 92
7. Re: getting to castellina in chianti and also April 25 holiday

Castellina in Chianti is wonderful. There is a great weekly market each Saturday - produce, prepared foods, clothing, housewares. Lots of fun!

Having a car in this area is preferred Lots of nearby small towns that are wort a visit.

We relied heavily on a great book: Back Roads of Italy. Terrific drives.

Enjoy!

Reply to: getting to castellina in chianti and also April 25 holiday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted