We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy experts- help!!

Which Castellina In Chianti hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
worldtravler
reviews: 9
Italy experts- help!!

My husband and I (early 40's) will be taking a trip to Paris and Italy in October. We are flying into Paris October 6th and staying there until the 8th, at which time we will fly to Venice. We are spending 1 full day and night in Venice and then will be heading to Castellina in Chianti for 6 nights. Will fly out of Florence back to Paris for one more night and then fly home. I am wondering what is the best plan to get to Chianti? I am thinking of taking the Euro to Florence and then renting a car from there so pick up and drop off location is the same. The other option is to rent a car in Venice and drive to Chianti and then to Florence to fly out.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Italy experts- help!!

One-way rentals within Italy are either cheap or free. I would pick up the car at Piazzale Roma in Venice. This is at the end of the road into Venice, so it is easy to get onto the bridge to the mainland and then onto the autostrada.

It is about a 4-hour drive from Venice to the Chianti area, and your luggage stays in the car all the way. With the train, you have to haul your luggage on and off the train (which has a few steep steps up from the platform), then into a taxi to get from Florence station to the car rental....

Do not even *think* of trying to drive into Florence city. There are many posts from people who have accidentally driven into a prohibited area, or in a bus lane, and have been hit with multiple €100 fines months later.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
2. Re: Italy experts- help!!

One-way rentals should normally be free except in the case of perhaps Hertz and Avis. If you use Autoeurope (broker for the majors), you should be able to get good rates with no drop fees.

Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 1
3. Re: Italy experts- help!!

Absolutely, we did a one way rental last month from Rome FCO to Chiusi and it worked out cheaper than the two of us taking the train, which would have been impossible anyway with all our luggage.

San Diego...
4. Re: Italy experts- help!!

Two couples will be travelling from Rome to Castellina for a week long stay in a villa. We plan to do day trips. Would ou recommend renting a car in Rome or taking the train and then renting a car. I have driven the Autostrada in 2008 and SURVived... should we drive again or take the train?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
5. Re: Italy experts- help!!

My choice would be to pick up a car in Rome and drive. But not along the autostrada. I would leave by mid-morning and take the old SS2 road, which is much more interesting. This would take about 5 hours of driving, plus stops.

6. Re: Italy experts- help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 16, 2013