We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence to Chianti or Siena to Chianti?

Which Castellina In Chianti hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
reviews: 5
Florence to Chianti or Siena to Chianti?

I plan to visit Siena and chianti when heading to florence from Rome. I would like to have 1 night for Siena and 1 night / day trip for chianti. Which is the more sensible route below, anyone with experience can advise?

Rome - Siena 1 night - chianti 1 night - florence

Rome - Siena 1 night - Florence (spare a day trip to chianti).

Am completely new to Italy so puzzled by transport between Siena and chianti. Thanks!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
1. Re: Florence to Chianti or Siena to Chianti?

Where in Chianti are you hoping to visit?

Castellina in...
reviews: 8
2. Re: Florence to Chianti or Siena to Chianti?

Chianti is the area between Florence and Siena. http://www.chianti.info/map_of_chianti.htm You can visit southern Chianti by bus from Siena and northern Chianti by bus from Florence. The buses, which are mostly for school children and workers, fan out from the provincial capitals and mostly stay within the province. Chianti is divided between the provinces of Florence and Siena, hence the peculiarities of the bus routes.

Castellina In...
reviews: 16
3. Re: Florence to Chianti or Siena to Chianti?

Wow. You do realise that every move you make wastes at least 1/2 day? Maybe more. If you're not going to have a car then a bus trip from Siena to Castellina and back will eat up another couple of hours. In my view, this is too much of your valuable holiday time wasted.

So my suggestion is this. Skip Florence; leave it until your next visit so you can give it more time. Spend all three nights in Siena, maybe hiring a car for a day to take a nice road-trip through the Chianti hills.

And try to build in some relaxation time into your holiday. What's the point of coming to Tuscany if you don't get into the Tuscan spirit? That means less focus on ticking off things in your guide book and more time tasting wine and having long relaxed lunches and dinners.

Virginia
reviews: 113
4. Re: Florence to Chianti or Siena to Chianti?

I agree with TuscanOasis, any time you change location you're wasting at least a half day in travel and moving into your new accomodation. I'd also Stay in Siena and do day trips. We stayed in a central location for a week and our day trip locations were no more than an hour away. But then our vacation style is very relaxed, so that's just us.

Olympia, Washington
reviews: 6
5. Re: Florence to Chianti or Siena to Chianti?

Being fond of smaller towns, I will play the devil's advocate and suggest you stay in a town like Castellina and take a day trip into Siena one day and into Florence another. Having a car in the Chianti is really helpful. An alternative might be to rent a car in Siena and drive route 222 through the the Chianti for a day and turn the car in at the Florence Airport and then take a bus into Florence for your stay there. We did the reverse last September, renting a car as we left Florence and driving down through the Chianti making a nice day trip with a stop in the market at Greave and eating along the way.

Virginia
reviews: 113
6. Re: Florence to Chianti or Siena to Chianti?

Mike, that's where we stayed, too. The perfect place, it was central to all the towns we wanted to visit.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 3
7. Re: Florence to Chianti or Siena to Chianti?

Hi

I intend to visit Florence/Siena/Chianti in mid Nov. I will be coming from MIlan

Th last night of stop will be in Florence. Hence, I have 3 nights that I have to decide where to stay - Siena and/or Chianti. I am thinking to go direct from Milan to Siana, stay a night over. The next day, I will move to Chianti for 2 nights stay. What do you guys think?

Or should I just make either Chianti/Sienna my base, and do trips out?

Thanks!

8. Re: Florence to Chianti or Siena to Chianti?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, January 23, 2014