We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siciy to Montecassino by train

Which Cassino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chico, California
reviews: 8
Siciy to Montecassino by train

September of this year (2013) my husband and I are traveling to Italy; flying into Rome to Amalfi Coast and down to Sicily for 11 days. We will be returning to Rome to fly home but are staying one night in Cassino so we can tour the Abbey of Montecassino. Does anyone know the train options from Catania Sicily to our destination of Cassino Italy (between Naples & Rome) I appreciate any information.

Nonnie_5_11

12 replies to this topic
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
1. Re: Siciy to Montecassino by train

To find train times on www.trenitalia.com click the UK flag at the top for English, then enter Catania and Cassino and the 'hour' of '5' to see all trains. For the onward journey, enter your destination as Roma Termini or Fiumicino Aeroporto.

The journey to Cassino is a very long distance by slow and not particularly comfortable trains, which obviously also have to cross a ferry. You may be shocked by the travel times, and wish to rethink your plans. A flight direct to Rome would be much easier.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
2. Re: Siciy to Montecassino by train

If not a direct flight as suggested by perilizia, then perhaps take the overnight TTT Lines ferry from Catania to Naples, and then the train onward from Naples.

Vagabonda

Latina, Italy
3. Re: Siciy to Montecassino by train

Don't give up on this just because it's difficult! Montecassino is well worth taking some trouble to see.

You say "we are staying one night"....which makes me think you already have a hotel reservation.

Whatever, both the expert suggestions above are good. Either fly to Rome and then double back by train to Cassino, or take the ferry to Naples and on to Cassino by train from there.

In both cases the train will take 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
4. Re: Siciy to Montecassino by train

The ferry saves the cost of a hotel and you would arrive in Naples in the morning ready to begin your day.

You might also fly from Catania to Naples. Fly Alitalia or Air Italy (Meridiana) from Catania to Naples.

Book Alitalia on the Italian site for the lowest "Promo" rates.

Save Money By Booking Alitalia Flights “Like a Local”:

roninrome.com/transportation/booking-alitali…

Vagabonda

Chico, California
5. Re: Siciy to Montecassino by train

Thank you so much for your responses to my questions regarding Montecassino by train. I am checking into the idea of flying or taking the overnight ferry. I like the ferry idea as we can sleep and not have the extra hotel night in Catania. We would arrive into Naples around the time the train would leave from Catania so we will be way ahead of our travel plans that way. I think we will change our plans for the way down and fly from Naples to Catania. I was very surprised to see the low cost for flying. Sure makes it worth the time saved and pay just a little more. (Thanks for the help to "book as a local") Appia 670 asked if we had reservations in Cassino- yes we are booked at Hotel La Pace. We won't have a car so thought it would be a central location for transportation up to Montecassino. We are really looking forward to our tour there as we read a book about the history of it.

Always love the helpful advice given on this website!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
6. Re: Siciy to Montecassino by train

Prego NOnnie_5_11,

Flying to Catania and taking the ferry from Catania to Naples is an excellent plan. You would arrive in Naples in the morning, ready to begin your day!

Wishing you a lovely holiday!

Vagabonda

Chico, California
7. Re: Siciy to Montecassino by train

Thanks Vagabonda- We are looking forward to our time in Italy. Do you have any specific advice for site-seeing while in Taormina. (you said you know that area well) We will be there two nights. Sounds like a lovely area.

Grazie,

Nonnie_5_11

Chico, California
8. Re: Siciy to Montecassino by train

Grazie Perilizia-

Your information is much appreciated. I will check into the train details you suggested.

NOnnie_5_11

Chico, California
9. Re: Siciy to Montecassino by train

I really appreciate your encouragement to pursue seeing Montecassino. We are looking forward to our time there as is seems to be a wonderful place.

Grazie,

NOnnie_5_11

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
10. Re: Siciy to Montecassino by train

Prego NOnnie_5_11,

Taormina’s Teatro Greco is its top attraction. Walk the Corso Umberto; admire the stunning views from piazza IX Aprile; explore Taormina's historic centre and alleys; take the funivia; enjoy the beach; take a boat ride into the Grotta Azzura; shop; take the bus up to Castelmola for views of Taormina below and then trek down from Castelmola to Taormina.

Taormina is also a base for excursions to Mount Etna.

With one more day, you could have also enjoyed Siracusa.

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Reply to: Siciy to Montecassino by train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted