We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Arezzo

Which Arezzo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Stay in Arezzo

A colleague who originates from here has suggested this town for my next trip to Italy in hopefully September 2014. This time I want to stay at least 2weeks in one place doing day trips to Siena, Lucca, Assisi, Pisa.

I do not speak Italian and am a single mature lady.

Has anyone any comments on this town and perhaps advice on renting single room close to town as I will not be driving but using buses & trains.

ANY info appreciated.

Cheers, Helen.

11 replies to this topic
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
1. Re: Stay in Arezzo

Lucca and Pisa are quite a trek from Arezzo. I would say that Florence would be a better base for visiting the places you mention by public transport. There is also more to see and do in Florence itself.

San Jose, California
2. Re: Stay in Arezzo

I concur with Peggypatch. I live outside of Arezzo and while it has a lovely historical center, it is quite small and mostly surrounded by an industrial area. To spend two weeks without a car, I think Florence would be a much wiser decision. You would definitely have a lot more options of things to do and better train connections.

Perth, Australia
3. Re: Stay in Arezzo

Thank you.

Have been to Florence before & I guess I was hoping to stay for the extended time in a quieter smaller place, less touristy , more like a " local ".

Are the train connections less reliable from Arezzo?

Cheers,

Helen.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
4. Re: Stay in Arezzo

"reliable" isn't really the issue. Florence is just much more of a hub for buses and trains. There are more options / choices.

Perth, Australia
5. Re: Stay in Arezzo

thank you.

San Jose, California
6. Re: Stay in Arezzo

Well, I wouldn't call Arezzo "Less touristy" as it is certainly filled with its fair share. And quiet it is not... especially not at night when all the students fill the streets - especially the Corso Italia. Arezzo is a good sized city...it is just the historical center that is small.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
7. Re: Stay in Arezzo

Maybe one week in Lucca and one week in Arezzo then?

Arezzo, Italy
reviews: 4
8. Re: Stay in Arezzo

I would say this is a good combination. I would definitely consider Arezzo less touristy than Florence and much more relaxing. The majority of tourists seem to be Italian and European in general. Just factor in a little extra time to get up to Florence where you can switch trains to get to Pisa or Lucca. The fastest can get you to Florence in around 30-45 minutes. There is a direct train every hour. This wont matter though if you stay in Lucca. Arezzo has a much more local feeling as you hear Italian being spoken rather than a lot of English like in Florence. You can save money on staying here also. How much do you want to spend on a room? Assisi, Siena, Perugia, Cortona, Orvieto, and many more are all good day trips from here. If your looking to do some cycling while in the area check these guys out: http://www.brokencompasstuscany.com

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 8
9. Re: Stay in Arezzo

From another older woman who was looking for something similar, another suggestion: I just spent a month in Montepulciano, which is an ancient hilltop town within stone walls, with spectacular views of the Tuscan countryside. You can take the bus from there to Siena or Florence, or to the train station at Chiusi. The streets are tiny and very picturesque, and the town felt very safe. There's a supermarket just outside the town walls. It's very steep though, so you need to be fairly fit to get around.

australia
reviews: 13
10. Re: Stay in Arezzo

If your still thinking of staying in Arezzo It might be worth having a look at Arezzo tuscan apartments. www.arezzotuscanapatments.com They offer a range of accommodation and Tina is most helpful and quick to reply to any questions. They have a wonderful service of meeting you at the station on arrival and offer any information needed. I could not fault the contact I have had for our upcoming trip to Arezzo in May. Enjoy your holiday.

Reply to: Stay in Arezzo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Arezzo