We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain Driving in May (Arrezo to Adriatic Coast via Urbino

Which Arezzo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver Island...
reviews: 16
Mountain Driving in May (Arrezo to Adriatic Coast via Urbino

This drive, to explore Sassocorvaro, Urbino, and over to Adriatic Coast, goes through a mountainous area. The guidebook indicates there may still be snow on the roads in "spring". We would like to drive through this area around May 10th. Will there be a 1) remote or 2) significant danger of dangerous conditions? We will not be carrying chains and will be in a rental car.

I know the distance is not far (say 200 km), but there is no direct route and we want to see Sasso, Urbino, and get to the coast in 1 day (likely stay at Rimini). Is this feasible? And is Rimini worth seeing?

Thanks.

Castellina in...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Mountain Driving in May (Arrezo to Adriatic Coast via Urbino

It's highly unlikely that there will be snow on that route in May. A brick might also fall off a roof onto your head - the probabilities are equal but only one of the two is likely to be fatal.

Rimini the historical town is definitely worth a visit, especially if there's an exhibition taking place in Castel Sismondo. Rimini the resort is . . . just a resort.

Be sure to spend the best part of the day in Urbino, one of the great art cities of Italy. I'm sure you have your reasons to explore Sassocorvaro but you pass through Sansepolcro which contains some truly divine art. http://www.sansepolcro-info.com/

San Jose, California
2. Re: Mountain Driving in May (Arrezo to Adriatic Coast via Urbino

Though you state you will not be carrying chains, on some of those roads you are "obligated" to carry them until May 31st. (some are May 1st.) It is different by each road and area. I would probably have them put in my rental car even though the odds that there will be snow in any of the areas you are going through will be minimal. If you get stopped and inspected, they may check for your chains.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
3. Re: Mountain Driving in May (Arrezo to Adriatic Coast via Urbino

Really? I thought the cut off date was the middle of April? Do you have an up to date link? I can only seem to find ones covering last year.

San Jose, California
4. Re: Mountain Driving in May (Arrezo to Adriatic Coast via Urbino

I had put one out there a year ago or so but It all depends on the road. The roads near me which includes a section of the E45 are signed with May 1st and there are a select few which are posted with May 31st. I will look for that link again. And of course we had some pretty heavy and slick snow yesterday.

5. Re: Mountain Driving in May (Arrezo to Adriatic Coast via Urbino

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Arezzo