We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling to Poppi, Italy

Which Arezzo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bigsandkim@chartermi...
reviews: 4
traveling to Poppi, Italy

My 2 teenage daughters, husband and I are trying to make arrangements to get from Detroit to Poppi in July. There are direct flights to Rome from Detroit; flying to Florence would involve a layover in Paris. Once we get to either airport, how would we get to Poppi? It looks like we'd take a train to Arezzo and then a local train to Poppi? Are the train stations in the airport? How easy is to to locate the transfer from Arezzo to Poppi?

Thank you for your help!

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
reviews: 260
11. Re: traveling to Poppi, Italy

Hi!

This is the timetable of the trains to/from Arezzo:

www.trasportoferroviariotoscano.it/280812.pdf

Then there are some buses to/from Florence:

sitabus.it/sita-toscana/Firenze-Bibbiena.pdf

and some to/from the surrounding villages:

www.etruriamobilita.it/index.php?SEZ=16

Bye :)

Star Prairie...
12. Re: traveling to Poppi, Italy

Thanks very much. I can't read Italian but it looks like the trains do go to and from Poppi so there must be a train station there. I was told there wasn't one. This is important because the villa we are going to rent is near Poppi and we don't want to dirve to Arezzo to get on a train. Will you please confirm there is a station in Poppi? Thanks again.

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
13. Re: traveling to Poppi, Italy

it's in Ponte a Poppi - Via Panoramica - which is at the foto of Poppi, which is on a hill.

coordinategeografiche.it/coordinate/…7037

Bye :)

San Jose, California
14. Re: traveling to Poppi, Italy

Yes, as girella stated there is a train station but it is served by a much smaller regional line called LFI that serves only between Arezzo and Stia. From Arezzo you can go further on (i.e. Florence or Rome) by catching a Trenitalia train. The chart is showing you the schedule for trains coming and going to Arezzo as well- this is the section in brown on the top left corner of the "Arezzo -->Stia" section and then on the bottom right for the "Stia--->Arezzo" section. This is so you can schedule your train accordingly to meet up with another train going on further. So you will have to change trains in Arezzo no matter what if coming from Rome or Florence, etc.

I don't think one would drive only as far as Arezzo and then get on a train to Poppi, doesn't seem to make sense. However, you will most likely though be better off with a car in the Poppi area.

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
15. Re: traveling to Poppi, Italy

Ops!

Foot NOT foto :)))

San Jose, California
16. Re: traveling to Poppi, Italy

LOL girella, I knew what you meant! :))

Star Prairie...
17. Re: traveling to Poppi, Italy

Thank you very much again. I think I understand. Stia is a town to the north of Poppi and the regional train runs between there and Arezzo and stops in Poppi on the way.

San Jose, California
18. Re: traveling to Poppi, Italy

Yes! Exactly! Stia is a little commune.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stia

Star Prairie...
19. Re: traveling to Poppi, Italy

We are 13 traveling to Poppi via FLR June 8-22.

While searching for car rentals, we find only tiny cars at FLR that can accomidate 3-4 people and two suitcases. We will have to rent a car just to carry the excess luggage.

Is there other means of travel to Poppi and back other than the trains... like busses? We could rent cars in Arezzo but I can't find a rental agency there. Any suggestions? Thanks very much

Star Prairie...
20. Re: traveling to Poppi, Italy

......just a clarification on my previous post asking about other transportaion to/from Poppi, I tried the link from post #11 and it does not work. Perhaps Bergamo can check on that? Thanks again.