We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giostra del Saracino june 2012, where to buy tickets & stay

Which Arezzo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Giostra del Saracino june 2012, where to buy tickets & stay

Hi, Husband and I will be in Tuscany this June 2012 and we are really interested in staying a couple nights in Arezzo around the Giostra del Saracino (on the 23rd June??) (to also observe the practices days before). This leaves me a few questions,

1) IS the 23rd June date correct? Where do i buy tickets from? am i too late?

2) Where is a good place to stay from ~22-24th june to get a good immersion in the festivities?

3) we will have a car, where is the best place to park (assuming not included in our hotel or we cant find a hotel and drive in for the day)

thanks- any help, suggestions, advice or even accounts of other peoples experiences of the event are most welcome, as we find it hard to find up-to-date information.

Thanks in advance

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 46
1. Re: Giostra del Saracino june 2012, where to buy tickets & stay

The official website for the event doesn't seem to work.

The date for the evening joust is June 23 and you must have a €5 ticket to enter the square. I would strongly recommend you get that in advance, maybe getting your accommodation to purchase it for you.

If you want a better view, this website offers views from the windows of buildings overlooking the square. I imagine it will be very costly.

I have seen the joust on TV and I have been in the square the day of the evening joust. Very colourful and exciting.

www.jacopodellatorre.com/eng_arezzo.php

Perth, Western...
reviews: 220
2. Re: Giostra del Saracino june 2012, where to buy tickets & stay

Hi Sciort, its us again!

You can have detailed informations about the giostra writing to the town tourist office; turismo@provincia.arezzo.it

and browse for the accomodation into the province website:

www.turismo.provincia.arezzo.it

Our preferences for towns to stay would be Castiglion Fiorentino or Poppi, the first because of a property we like, Casale di Brolio; the second because it is said to be with Anghiari, the most beautiful village in the whole region (see www.borghitalia.it ).

Arezzo will be extremily busy because the monthly antique fair and flea market is held every last weekend every month and staying in the city centre could be all, less than an advantage.

sydney
reviews: 3
3. Re: Giostra del Saracino june 2012, where to buy tickets & stay

Thanks for both of your replies, very helpful. Do either of you (anyone else) have any parking suggestions for if we dont stay at Arezzo and just visit for the days of the events?

Lynn B: during your day of the evening joust- just how busy does it get? is it completely crammed and packed that it is hard to move anywhere or is it still easy to walk around and explore the rest of the town between events? and do oyu think if we don't stay in Arezzo that we will find parking very difficult?

Assies11- thanks again for your fantastic info. we like the sound of the places you suggested. Have you been to the montly antqiue fair before? i appreciate the advice not to stay in Arezzo during this time, but im also curious is it a worthwhile fair to go to? will this coupled with the joust make Arezzo near impossible to navigate/visit and park?

Also- do you have any suggested places to eat at in Arezzo?

thanks heaps in advance :)

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 46
4. Re: Giostra del Saracino june 2012, where to buy tickets & stay

It was crowded and more so as evening approached. We had parked well away from the old town, actually in a supermarket parking lot, and you do need to be careful as Arezzo has Limited Parking Zones now (ZTL)

During the afternoon there were drums and different troops of people in their medieval dress moving around the town but it was quite easy to see the churches and the square with the earth ramp built up. But as we had no tickets and we didn't fancy driving back to San Gimignano in the dark we didn't stay.

We did visit at another time and ate at the cafe under the pretty loggia at the top of the campo, and we did see it televised in 2009 when we were in Italy again.

www.nickbooth.id.au/Images/Arezzo_Piazza.jpg taken from the loggia which has this pretty ceiling

nickbooth.id.au/Images/Arezzo_loggia_lights.…

Perth, Western...
reviews: 220
5. Re: Giostra del Saracino june 2012, where to buy tickets & stay

Hi Sciort, I've attended once the fair years ago looking for light collectables items and travelled by train. You can search hours long especially for home furniture and eventually prices are negotiable.

The most reliable restaurant now seems to be "La Torre di Gnicche" at Piaggia San Martino 8, near Piazza Grande. Booking is advisable:

tel. 0575 352035

but you could purchase also quick snacks.

Sydney, Australia
6. Re: Giostra del Saracino june 2012, where to buy tickets & stay

(in case my replies were a little confusing, tash7848 and sciort are both me- i accidentally opened 2 accounts in the past)

lynn B thanks so much for your report and parking experience too, im a little worried about the ZTL and where to park.

London
reviews: 10
7. Re: Giostra del Saracino june 2012, where to buy tickets & stay

Hi sciort

I'm a fellow Sydneysider who spends a lot of time in Tuscany - so happy to help visitors from my fair city.

You are right, the date for the Giostra in 2012 is 23rd June. We went a couple of years ago to the June evening joust and had a fabulous night. Everyone dresses up in medieval gear, including the mayor, the police and the ambulance service and the flag throwing, drumming, trumpeters and pageantry gave an amazing atmosphere. The standard of horsemanship was incredible. We took guests who were totally blown away by the spectacle, in my view its better than the Siena palio but much less known and much cheaper!

We bought tickets months ahead for Tribuna A - €47 in 2009, ie about €200 cheaper than the Siena Palio!Tribuna A is the grand stand closest to the Saracen the jousters are aiming at, and we had a spectacular view, sitting next to the family of one of the jousters. You can also get cheaper tickets for Tribuna B or for standing room only on the ground behind the ropes in the square. The latter option got very rowdy with all the locals passionately cheering on their local team and the views aren't so great, nor would I recommend it if you have young kids with you. To get tickets in advance for Tribuna A or B just email the ticket office in English and they will arrange it for you, they were really helpful for us, their email address is:

giostradelsaracino@comune.arezzo.it

There is a further option of a dress rehearsal on the thursday before (21st June) at 8,15 and the tickets are available from the ticket office in Arrezzo from the 18th June, at only €5 for Tribuna A, friends of ours went to this and enjoyed it very much.

We arrived about one in the afternoon of the day of the joust (which was at 9pm that night) and the parking was filling up fast then, we parked at Parcheggio Petri, a large public carpark 5 mins walk to the square where the giostra is held. We picked up our tickets from the ticket office - ALL the standing room and Tribuna tickets had sold out by that point, then wandered around Arezzo having a drink and nibbles at bar tables on the streets until the pre giostra parades started through the town, all in medieval dress, with the horses and drummers and the atmosphere ramped up!

I hope you have a fabulous time, do make the effort to go, its a little known Tuscan gem.

San Jose, California
8. Re: Giostra del Saracino june 2012, where to buy tickets & stay

There are a few places to park that are convenient: Parcheggio Via Giuseppe Pietri (off of the road of the same name - this is on the Northish side of town. From here you can take the escalator up to the old walled city.

There is also parking at the train station "ferrovia" on Via Piero della Francesca - just follow the signs toward it and just past the station which is across the street from the Piazzale della Repubblica (stay in the left lane - this is a one-way street), you will make a left turn into the parking lot. Pay first at the ticket stand in the middle of the parking lot and put the ticket on your dash.

Another parking option which is not too far for walking into the older area, is at Parcheggio Bisaccioni on via Baldaccio d'Anghiari. This is a large covered parking garage and is just a bit further down the road and through a round-a-bout past the train station. You pay for your parking at the cassa when you return to your car.

A few of my favorite restaurants are Il Cantuccio http://www.il-cantuccio.it/ - a small family-run restaurant where the front is run by Nonna Augusta. Another fave is Logge Vasari right on the large Piazza Grande http://www.loggevasari.net/

and also I Tre Bicchieri ristoranteitrebicchieri.com/ristorante.html

Personally I think Poppi is too far out of the way (Not a lot to see and do, though there is a castle there and a fantastic cooking school, Casa Ombuto). Taking the train into Arezzo from wherever you stay is a good option. Castiglion Fiorentino is on the line (as is Poppi). Il Borro is a very lovely but high-end place to stay outside of Arezzo. Anghiari is a lovely day trip, as is Sansepolcro. Depending on what you want, hotel or agriturismo , there should be plenty of options. But do book soon if you have not already. Check www.venere.com and www.agriturismo.it

9. Re: Giostra del Saracino june 2012, where to buy tickets & stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Arezzo