We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oman - 2nd - 4 December

Which Muscat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 21
Oman - 2nd - 4 December

My husband and I are coming to Muscat on the above dates.

We do not drive and tours seem a rip off.

We would like to do Nizwa and Bahla and the canyon, I 'd rather do these as day trips from Muscat. Is anybody interested in sharing costs. Alternatively can I do Nizwa and Bahla independently the same day by public transport. Looking at other responses on the forum the canyon is virtually impossible to do without a car or a organised tour.

Also how do shared taxis and minibuses work. How do you know which is a shared taxi and which is private - engaged. Also when sharing taxis do the taxi drivers still try to overcharge tourists.

Thanks in advance to anybody in advance who responds.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 3
1. Re: Oman - 2nd - 4 December

Jebel Akdar is a mountain top, coolest in the region, temp on top is like 15 C degrees lower than at the ground level. The road towards JA comes before you reach Nizwa from Muscat on the highway. They do not allow cars other than 4-WD up this mountain. This is for your information.

Muscat-Nizwa-then you get a place called Al Hamra, where you divert to go to Al Hoota Caves (now closed for maintenance, as per last information), or Jebel Shams (the grand canyon of Oman) which is 40+ km away from the exit on the highway Nizwa-Bahla. IMO, Bahla fort is more interesting than Nizwa - which is large but sadly converted to a souk of sorts.

All in all, you are better of visiting these places by a 4-WD vehicle. Have to bite the bullet as far as costs are concerned.

2. Re: Oman - 2nd - 4 December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Muscat