We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How rough are fast boats?

mildura
reviews: 4
How rough are fast boats?

Hi Guys,

I really want to take my family( wife and 2 boys, 2 years old) to Gili Islands late October as I've already done the Bali thing.

With the new airport too far away I gather fast boats are the quickest way there? Is the trip over by boat calm in October as my boys will drive us nuts for 2.3 hours on a boat.

Is there any where else in Indonesia with beautiful beaches suitable for twin 2 year olds that could be an option if Gili isn't suitable?

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 50
1. Re: How rough are fast boats?

It's difficult to predict how rough conditions will be as you're getting into the monsoon season. To minimise time on the water, consider using an operator that departs Padang Bai, such as Gilicat. The flight, taxi then boat is probably a longer journey, but easier on your stomach.

mildura
reviews: 4
2. Re: How rough are fast boats?

How long roughly from airport to Gili T?

planet earth
3. Re: How rough are fast boats?

2.3 hours is possibly from Sanur or Serangan departure points. From Padangbai it's just only 1.5 hours or less, and Gili Trawangan is mostly the first stop before other (Gili Air or Lombok).

For flight, from Lombok airport to Bangsal or Teluk Kodek harbor is about 1.5 hours overland, then 10 - 15 minutes crossing with small boat.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
reviews: 25
4. Re: How rough are fast boats?

I wrote a reply to this, and it was lost as my internet went down :(

Would I take very young children on the fast boats? No. Look, you can be lucky and have fine weather, but these boats can be VERY rough and are not recommended for pregnant women, the frail or disabled.

If you do decide to go, do go from Padang Bai and not Sanur or Benoa. Padang Bai is the shortest water crossing (1.5 hours on a flat calm day, considerably longer in rough seas). The trip from Kuta to Padang Bai is around 1 - 1.5 hours depending on traffic. So all up 3-4+ hours of travel plus waiting time for the boat to leave.

If you fly to Lombok, you have minimal travel to the airport in Bali (assuming you are staying in the south), and a 25 minute flight. You then have a 1.5 - 2 hour (including stops to take photos as the trip is very scenic in parts). The crossing to Gili T will depend on what sort of boat - if a speedboat then 10 minutes, if local ferry then 20-30 minutes (plus waiting time for the boat to leave).

There is not a huge difference in travel time between the two, and a considerable difference in comfort and what you get to see on the way. Cost is fairly similar.

Other options for beautiful beaches is south Lombok which hands-down beats any other beaches in the area (including Bali, and including the Gilis). The beaches in the Kuta region are soft white sand with clear water, and not crowded with anchored boats and other tourists like on the Gilis. Have a read of this topic which describes some of the beaches in the area tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297733-i9237-k652…

I don't know your budget, but if you are looking for a nice hotel, take a look at Novotel in Kuta Lombok. Another fabulous place is Sempiak Villas at Selong Belanak, one of the best beaches on Lombok.

Both Kuta and Selong Belanak are 20 mins from the Lombok airport.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 48
5. Re: How rough are fast boats?

if conditions are too rough they do not run the fast boats for safety. This generally happens during low season.

New Orleans...
6. Re: How rough are fast boats?

I took fast boat with my children last month. My children happy with the boat trip. Take high class fast boat such as Bluewater Express, www.bluewater-express.com. Their price is expensive but you got insurance coverage when sign their tickets.

Source: personal experience.

7. Re: How rough are fast boats?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, June 27, 2013
Brisbane
reviews: 21
8. Re: How rough are fast boats?

If you're already staying in Lombok, do your family a favor & head south. The beaches there can be quite low & calm as opposed to the north-east.

Take your boys across by boat when they are much older! ;)

9. Re: How rough are fast boats?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 28, 2014