We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to Ilfracombe

Which Ilfracombe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harwich, Essex
reviews: 121
travel to Ilfracombe

I am thinking of having a few days in Ilfracombe but notice there is no train station there. I would be travelling from Essex on public transport so probably be on a train via London. What is the best rail station to go to to then get a bus or coach to Ilfracombe? I have looked in to National Express coach from Colchester to Ilfracome but it takes too long. thanks

10 replies to this topic
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
reviews: 34
1. Re: travel to Ilfracombe

You'll need to cross London to Paddington station, take the train to Exeter St Davids, change there for Barnstaple, then bus to Ilfracombe

visitilfracombe.co.uk/tourist-information/it…

reviews: 2
2. Re: travel to Ilfracombe

You could come by coach. …weebly.com/information-for-visitors-to-ilfr…

Barnstaple, United...
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
reviews: 163
3. Re: travel to Ilfracombe

I'd agree with aadvark10, if you want to travel by train go London-London Paddington-Exeter St David's-Barnstaple and then get the bus to Ilfracombe. There is a 15-20 minute walk from the train station at Barnstaple to the bus station but some buses do stop at the train station, too.

Cotswolds
4. Re: travel to Ilfracombe

The train/bus combination via Exeter and Barnstaple isn't THAT much slower than the coach - though it is more frequent

When the line isn't flooded - a depressingly frequent occurrence

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
reviews: 205
5. Re: travel to Ilfracombe

There are certainly easier places to get to by train than Ilfracombe, Torbay, Exmouth, Dawlish, even Looe or Newquay all have rail stations.

Barnstaple, United...
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
reviews: 163
6. Re: travel to Ilfracombe

True badcat but they aren't Ilfracombe either ;-)

Edited: 2:20 pm, January 06, 2014
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
reviews: 205
7. Re: travel to Ilfracombe

Ah, yes, but they are only 'thinking' of going to Ilfracombe. May be open to other easier to get to suggestions.

Harwich, Essex
reviews: 121
8. Re: travel to Ilfracombe

Thank you people, It would be Ilfracombe if I were to visit the area so most helpful. The national express coach connections are what makes it a long journey as it means not getting there until evening Train sounds the best option, but may wait til the flooding risk is less :)

reviews: 2
9. Re: travel to Ilfracombe

There is also the option of getting a train to Tiverton Parkway, then a taxi to Ilfracombe. This is a more costly option but it is the quickest route by far.

uk
reviews: 14
10. Re: travel to Ilfracombe

Warning -think twice if travelling by car. The long stay ticket is only valid in certain car parks (this is hidden in small print on back, and after a long journey the last thing you do is sit and read the rear of a parking tickets small print!) Fine is £50 unless you pay up in shorter time. Nice welcome after paying to park.

We had to move our car up to a out of the way car park to comply with the ticket, only to have it immediately vandalised. So on top of the fine we had a damaged car. Just a little card left on front seat asking us to telephone the police, No attempt to secure the car. I think if we had no valid parking ticket the council would have probably towed it away to a safe pound and we would have been better off. The council rejected our appeal and we have ended with a fine and massive repair bill to pay. Doubt we will ever go back. The drunks at night were off-putting but this was the final straw.

Reply to: travel to Ilfracombe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ilfracombe