We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athol car hire fuel policy

Which Isle of Man hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
reviews: 123
Athol car hire fuel policy

I've hired a car for 2 days in IoM from Athol but I only noticed their fuel policy yesterday. You pay upfront for a full tank and bring it back empty. Since I'll only have the car for 2 days, I doubt I'll even get halfway into a full tank (although it does depend on the sort of car I get, I've gone for 'compact'). So I need to factor in the extra cost of this in determining if I'm still getting the best deal.

I've contacted Athol and was told the charge would "£8.00 and just £8.00", but that seems a little low for a full tank and I can't shake the feeling that I'm going to arrive at the desk in Ronaldsway and be asked for £50, £60, or more. Can anyone who used Athol recently comment on their policy?

2 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
reviews: 123
1. Re: Athol car hire fuel policy

Just in case anyone comes across this, the £8.00 is basically the cost of the petrol they put in at the start. Sounds just about enough to get you to the nearest petrol station. You then return it empty, but won't be refunded for any petrol you don't use.

Douglas, United...
2. Re: Athol car hire fuel policy

You don,t get asked for any large sum of money for fuel or as a fuel deposit by Athol. That's why they only fuel the vehicle with £8 to start. if they were to provide a full fuel tank at the start (like some of the big multi nationals) then you would expect to have to pay a deposit to cover the cost of a potential full refuel. With the high cost of fuel now, some vehicle would take over £100 to fill up! You don't have to do this with Athol. Currently the £8 of fuel supplied and charged by Athol equates to just over 6 litres of unleaded on the Island which in a small 1.2 cc vehicle doing about 40 mpg, I sums tell me it will take you about 55 miles or so. The Island is only about 30 long and 15 wide so you can't be going far and there is no shortage of fuel stations about. Your average journey would only be about 10 miles between towns. There are fuel stations just outside the airport in both directions to buy more if you need. If you get given a vehicle that someone has left loads of fuel in then it can be to your advantage.

Reply to: Athol car hire fuel policy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Man