We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tt - Isle of Man 2008

Which Isle of Man hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 2
tt - Isle of Man 2008

Hi I am heading to TT and will be there a few days either side of Mad Sunday. This is my and my friends first time at TT!! Is there anything I should be aware of, need to take, or things I should check out while there. Accomodation is not a problem but was after a heads up of what to expect (in purely a spectator capacity!!)

Thanks

Claire

1. Re: tt - Isle of Man 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:58 am, November 26, 2014
Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
reviews: 17
2. Re: tt - Isle of Man 2008

Two things.

1. Where are you staying? Douglas is the busiest town and you can walk to a few good vantage points.

2. Mad Sunday. Do you have transport?

If yes (bike), stay sober on the Saturday night (or stop drinking early) and go out for a lap or six early Sunday. Bring the eyes in the back of your head! No speed limit and one way over The Mountain means lots of seriously fast folk out there. Use your mirrors more than if you were on a motorway! As a novice stick very left! If your transport is four wheels, stick left and let the two wheelers get on with it. Also, use headlights on for car or bike.

If no transport, then for Mad Sunday, get up to The Grandstand to soak up the atmosphere, then head up to the Creg-ny-bar (taxi). If it's a nice day, you can walk up to Kate's Cottage

For the racing days, again transport or not?

1. Set off early to get to your chosen vantage point. Check the weather forecast (it'll be wrong but check anyway!) If racing is delayed you might be stuck somewhere for a long time so either prepare for the worst or have an escape route! If you have a bike and limited time, I'd recommend go to The Bungalow for the big bike race (turn off the course at the tram lines on The Mountain) Then, when the first race finishes, head down that road (it's beautiful to go along there). You go through some hair-pin bends, that's about half way. As you enter the hamlet towards the end of that road, there is a narrow turning right, which I think is signposted. If you arrive at the TT Course again, you've gone too far! This little road comes out at The Ginger Hall Hotel. Grab some food and watch the sidecars from there (I think the sidecar 'A' race is Saturday PM still).

2. No transport, again, The Grandstand is worth a visit once. You have to pay on race days but it is interesting seeing the re-fueling etc as well as the garlanding ceremony. Also there is food and stalls behind the Grandstand for pre/post racing. Also, the beer tent there is popular with racers and mere mortals after the racing is over.

***HOWEVER*** Your first ever sight of a bike, in practice or race, should be the bottom of Bray Hill (0.5 mile from the start). Get there early so you are at the front as soon as the road closes. Seriously, NOTHING will prepare you for the experience. I still remember my first time there, about twenty years ago, as if it was yesterday!

You could ask a hundred TT fans for their favorite spot and end up with a hundred different answers. Bottom of Bray is somewhere I'll probably never go again because it is too fast to photograph but as a first time, nothing touches it.

Other easy places to consider... Bus to The Railway at Union Mills (or walk along the old railway line). Beer Garden is about twelve feet above the track so you are looking down on the racers. The beer here is excellent too and if it rains, you can hide inside. There is another pub at Crosby but this is a flat out straight, so not great to watch from. Quarter Bridge is a slow right hander and a 'classic' TT spot. Gets busy.

Dont forget...

1. A warm jumper! It gets very cold down at Bushy's on the prom.

2. Waterproofs. It's June, it's TT, OF COURSE IT WILL RAIN!

3. Sun block. It's June... Especially needed if you're in Ramsey. It is often wet & cold in Douglas while hot and sunny in Ramsey. Very frustrating when the racing is delayed due to rain or fog when it is cracking the flags in the north.

4. A radio! You'll want to find out who is winning won't you? Manx Radio becomes Radio TT (on the AM/MW band) for two weeks, doing commentary of the races, interviews with racers and playing cheesy rock music (you will hear "Angel is a Centerfold" by J Giles Band... twice... each day)

Usually the radio interviews are from The Hilton but other drinking establishments are used, so it's worth trying to go to where ever they are broadcast from, especially if you're a big fan of the races as many stars will be there. A great chance to meet and chat with top riders.

5. If you have a bike at home but not bringing it, consider bringing your leathers and lid, hitch-hikers with a lid will get a lift very quickly. If your friend is also female, you will both get a lift quickly (sexist but true). If your friend is a bloke, he'll still get a lift, just not as quickly! ;-)

Your only regret is that you didn't go for longer... or last year!

3. Re: tt - Isle of Man 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Man