We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hovercraft to Isle of Wight/Dinosaur Isle

Which Lymington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
reviews: 1
Hovercraft to Isle of Wight/Dinosaur Isle

Hi,

I'm staying at Milford-on-Sea(near Lymington) and wanting to take my son on the hovercraft to the isle of wight to go to Dinosaur Isle(Sandown).

Any suggestions for the best way to do this?

Where to park etc

Thanks

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Train Travel, Olympics
reviews: 174
1. Re: Hovercraft to Isle of Wight/Dinosaur Isle

The hovercraft service (the last operating in Britain) operates from Southsea in Portsmouth. and Ryde. See www.hovertavel.co.uk.

Southampton
reviews: 24
2. Re: Hovercraft to Isle of Wight/Dinosaur Isle

You could do a circular route.

Ferry Lymington->Yarmouth

Bus Yarmouth ->Sandown - go to Dinosaur Isle

Train (it's an old tube train painted up!) or bus (all day ticket on Southern Vectis costs about £10. Includes open top bus with commentary and the normal buses - all of them because there is only one bus company) to Ryde.

Hovercraft Ryde->Southsea

Train Southsea -> milton-on-sea or Lymington (have to change at Southampton and Brockenhurst.

This might be more expensive due to single ferry journeys. But quicker and an adventure in public transport! I am assuming you don't want to pay to ferry a car over to IOW or a day. I have no idea if you can take cars on hovercraft? If you can, the quickest way will to be to drive to Southsea.

Edited: 6:00 pm, May 26, 2010
UK
reviews: 88
3. Re: Hovercraft to Isle of Wight/Dinosaur Isle

<<I have no idea if you can take cars on hovercraft?>>

There used to be one donkeys years ago IIRC, but its foot passengers only on this one.

4. Re: Hovercraft to Isle of Wight/Dinosaur Isle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 23, 2010