We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunoon visit

Which Dunoon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
paradise
reviews: 1
Dunoon visit

Will be arriving in Glasgow and want to visit Dunoon. Option one is to take the ferry from Grenock round trip then travel to Androssan to pick up the ferry to Brodick to spend two days on Arran. We then head north to Fort William. Is there an alternate or better way to do this trip. IE: go straight to Androssan/Arran and catch Dunoon on the way to Fort William. Thanks for any help. Can't wait to see beautiful Scotland.

10 replies to this topic
Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
1. Re: Dunoon visit

Hi,

Assuming you have a car....I think the ferries go from Gourock, which is a little way beyond Greenock.

Have a look at the Ferry company's site www.calmac.co.uk (There are other companies that do the route to Dunoon, too)

And study the routes around Dunoon, especially the Cowal Peninsula.

With a bit of planning you *can* go via Ardrossan and Arran. Leave Arran from Lochranza to the Mull of Kintyre. Head north and then take the ferry from Tarbert to Cowal. (Portavadie?) .

You can then explore the remote Cowal Peninsula - try to see the Kyles of Bute. After Dunoon, head north towards Loch Fyne, past Loch Ken.

You then have to choose with heading over to Loch Lomond and then north, or going through Inverary and Bridge of Orchy. Both routes have attractions and great scenery.

It may sound complicated, but its much simpler on the ground as you have few roads to choose from.

Interestingly, I've just looked at the Calmac site, and it lists "Destinations", which are all islands, and no mention of Cowal/Dunoon.

However, it is served by Calmac, even though it is a peninsula and not an island. You can also get there via Wemyss Bay and Bute, but it's too late for me to get into detail on that!

Glasgow
reviews: 2
2. Re: Dunoon visit

The ferry from Gourock-Dunoon is now a passenger only ferry which might suit you if you just want a quick look at Dunoon.(Argyll Ferries)

If you are taking a car you will use Western Ferries which departs a mile or so beyond Gourock and crosses to Hunter's Quay.

Edited: 4:07 am, July 05, 2012
paradise
3. Re: Dunoon visit

Thank you Both so much for a thoughtful answer! It was very helpful

paradise
4. Re: Dunoon visit

We want to leave our car at the ferry terminal and just go over to Dunoon for a short visit. It's a nostalgic trip for my husband who used to spend time there when he was in the submarine service. It's his understanding there is a plaque at the site now. Do you know if it's possible to get to the site on foot without the car?

Glasgow
5. Re: Dunoon visit

www.argyllonline.co.uk/index.asp?id=206

The US Navy was at Sandbank,about 2 miles from Dunoon.

It's too far to walk but you will be able to get a taxi.

I should mention that the Gourock ferry is quite basic,it runs like a bus service and you pay on board.

Our own nuclear submarines are still based nearby in the Gare Loch.

Glasgow
6. Re: Dunoon visit

Apparently the plaque is actually in Castle Gardens,Dunoon.

This is directly across the road from the ferry terminal where you arrive.

paradise
7. Re: Dunoon visit

Great! Again, thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Stanley, Falkland...
8. Re: Dunoon visit

So, after your Dunoon visit, the simplest and prettiest route to Ardrossan is south along the coast, through Wemyss Bay, Largs and Fairlie - small coastal villages, although Largs is a town, with some faded charm.

You should be able to see Arran most of the time.

On leaving Arran via Lochranza, you don't have to cross back over to Cowal if your Dunoon visit is enough. You can continue north to Kilmartin and Oban, or Inverary and Glencoe, before reaching Fort William. Lots of choices.

Where are you staying on Arran?

paradise
9. Re: Dunoon visit

We have reserved one night at The Belvedere and are lookiing for a second night. Any suggestions? Thanks for the additional info on the travel to Ardrossan. It sounds lovely.

Stanley, Falkland...
10. Re: Dunoon visit

Sadly, I don't know much about B&Bs on Arran, as I usually stay at self-catering places there.

And I don't know your budget or dates. But if you wanted to splurge, you could look at the Kilmichael. Doesn't cost anything to read about its fascinating history. Its been in the same family for centuries, and is a private home in the winter. You don't have to stay there to have a meal. And I believe it is popular with Americans, judging by the visitors book.

http://www.kilmichael.com/history.shtml

Reply to: Dunoon visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dunoon
Recent Conversations