We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garmisch Germany to UK

Which Folkestone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Munich, Germany
reviews: 5
Garmisch Germany to UK

I will be traveling from Garmisch Germany to the UK. I have a 9hr drive to the Eurotunnel. Two questions!

1.Can anyone recommend a decent place to stay on the Calais side that takes dogs? With average cost...

2.Has anyone done the Garmisch to tunnel drive before and thought it was better to cut the 9hr journey to say, 6hrs and then stay somewhere like Cologne? If so, any recomendations for a stop off point with a dog!?

I'm debating which is the better option incase 9hrs are really too much to drive in one go on this route? RAC maps say; from south Germany- traveling up the west side - cutting over near Aachen- though Belguim -then top of France is the best way.

Essex
reviews: 71
1. Re: Garmisch Germany to UK

Um.....

Are you bringing your own car, or a rental?

If the latter, have you checked that your rental co will allow you to take the car across borders and across the Channel?

Are you planning to return the car to source, if not, are you aware that there could be a massive drop off fee if you plan to relinquish the car in the UK as no one will hire a LHD car over here.

This one is probably a more silly question, but do you have all the requisite vaccinations, documents and worming organised for the dogs?

Having asked all of that, then the best place to ask about accommodations in Calais is on the TA Calais Forum, and the best place to ask about accommodations in/around Cologne is the TA Cologne forum.

Essex
2. Re: Garmisch Germany to UK

OK, I have just looked at your Profile and see that you are from Georgia USA, not Georgia Eurasia, so this will be a rental car...

Your journey is quite complex. Have you considered jst flying back to the States with the dogs from Munich??

England
reviews: 21
3. Re: Garmisch Germany to UK

I've stayed at the Calais Holiday Inn hotel at Coquelles which is conveniently situated close to the Tunnel. It's quite a nice hoteI and does accept dogs for a supplement. It's not near any restaurants so you would need to eat at the hotel. There are also cheaper hotels around.

holidayinn.com/hotels/…hoteldetail

You have a long journey, and I would probably recommend a stopover somewhere between Cologne and Aachen, or maybe Liege. Many years ago we drove to Bavaria and started our return journey in Passau, so I have an idea of the length of your journey and think it would be very tiring to do it in one go. Since it is a long time ago, I can't really recommend anywhere to stay but you could post in the appropriate German or Belgian forums for advice.

You may already have thought of this, but jic check the veterinary requirements for bringing your dog into the UK. Also, if you car is rented check that you're not paying a large amount for renting your car in one country and returning it in another.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent
reviews: 58
4. Re: Garmisch Germany to UK

Ontheroad... can't stress this enough... do you have a pet passport for your dogs, as you will not be allowed entry to the UK without one.

Munich, Germany
5. Re: Garmisch Germany to UK

Thanks for all the replies everyone... and the pet travel concerns, yes! am up todate with all that thank goodness! ;) Taking my own car, so have no worries there also. Yes, it is a long old trip Celestine, prob going to look for a stop-over at the half way point I think... I just haven’t found any hotels in the Cologne area that take dogs, which I find so unusual? I’ll check the German forum anyway. TVM

Guildford, United...
reviews: 49
6. Re: Garmisch Germany to UK

In the past we have stayed at a hotel south of Aachen with our dog:

Der Seehof - Heimbach (google the details). Modern hotel, quiet and with a lakeside path for walking the hound. It is not too far off the motorway but far enough to be quiet!

Essex
7. Re: Garmisch Germany to UK

Dunno if it helps, but I Googled and found this:

http://www.bringfido.com/

It has some listings for Germany and France.

Otherwise post on the local forums as suggested, or ask the local Tourist Offices, perhaps.

Edited: 6:05 pm, January 30, 2013
Munich, Germany
8. Re: Garmisch Germany to UK

Thanks EssexWanderer! The link was very helpful and have now booked a place half way on my trip to the UK. I'll give Essex a wave :)) on my way through to Suffolk! Happy travels!

9. Re: Garmisch Germany to UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 04, 2014