We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If Ileave to goThe Company Shed on sunday and get there..

Which Colchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 21
If Ileave to goThe Company Shed on sunday and get there..

...about 1pm, will I get seats for two?

Hate to go all the way there and not get to eat, it looks lovely.

anyone know?

Essex
reviews: 71
1. Re: If Ileave to goThe Company Shed on sunday and get there..

Hello, I suspect this reply is going to be a bit too late for you, sorry if so, but it might help some others.

It is true that The Company Shed has been raved over in many newspapers and around the world. It has been a few years since I have been down to Mersea Isle, but I have always found 'the shed' to be a bit overrated. Sometimes IME it has been so stinky of stale fish, the smell would be enough to put you off going in there! I DO REITERATE that it has been some years since I have been there though, so it may well have improved radically since then.

Because of all the 'hype' you can wait for HOURS for a table, especially on a decent day, the idea of buying & eating at the Fishermans/Oystermans hut is certainly a romantic one, you need to take your own wine & bread with you.

There are now a number of other good restaurants in West Mersea, so if you can't get into the shed, or you are just put-off, don't despair. I once had a very generous and fabulous portion of Fresh 'moules et frites' from one of the local pubs down there, sitting outside in the garden with a view down the coast to the oyster sheds. The beautiful pub was virtually empty, while tons of people were in a long sweltering queue for the shed!!

http://www.mersea-island.com/things-to-do.cfm

OK, I can't remember the name of the pub, but I will hunt it down and post back.

Toronto
reviews: 39
2. Re: If Ileave to goThe Company Shed on sunday and get there..

Thank you Essex Wanderer - we are going to Essex for a wedding and will have a free day (staying nr Chelmsford w/car). My thought was to wander down here and explore a little - thank you for the heads up about the Company Shed. For some reason, DH is very excited to see the seaside? I will keep in mind the thought of sitting in a pub garden watching everyone else line up :-)

London
reviews: 21
3. Re: If Ileave to goThe Company Shed on sunday and get there..

thank you very much, i didn't end up going and maybe gonna go this weekend if the weather is nice, i think i will leave about 10 o clock then and see what happens.

So is the shed a bit ofa "dump" for wnat of a better word?

Essex
4. Re: If Ileave to goThe Company Shed on sunday and get there..

The Company shed is just that, a clapboard shed, traditional of fishermens huts all around the Essex and Kent coasts and the Thames Estuary. It still gets LOADS of good reviews on TA and in many other places, read the TA reviews and make up your own mind! My personal opinion is just that - it does seem to go against the tide!!

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190735-…

What I mean is that if you are going to West Mersea and can't face the queues for 'The Shed' there are several other options down there for good food, so you will not be disappointed.

I have found a website for the Pub I had in mind it is The Victory:

http://www.victoryatmersea.com/

It looks as though it has been smartened up even more since I was there!!

Essex
5. Re: If Ileave to goThe Company Shed on sunday and get there..

PS, here is the website for the West Mersea Town Council, with lots of other useful information:

http://www.westmersea.org/

Colchester, United...
reviews: 4
6. Re: If Ileave to goThe Company Shed on sunday and get there..

The Victorys ok for food but nothing special.

If its seafood you are after try the Oyster bar i think its better than the shed and if it good food you want i would go to the coast inn.

there roasts are lovely.

Edited: 11:32 am, August 13, 2010
Diss, United Kingdom
reviews: 205
7. Re: If Ileave to goThe Company Shed on sunday and get there..

I agree that the Oyster Bar is far better than the Company Shed. The Shed is what it says on the tin a "shed" where the Bar is a bit more upmarket ~ not by much though ~ and in the summer u can sit outside on the decking....

8. Re: If Ileave to goThe Company Shed on sunday and get there..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:55 am, May 29, 2011