We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible to do Kjerag and Preikestolen on same day?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Stavanger hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
reviews: 26
Is it possible to do Kjerag and Preikestolen on same day?

We will be staying two nights in Stavanger in late May (midweek). Is it possible to do both hikes to Kjerag and Preikestolen on the same day?

I know we can do the climbs but is it feasible to take our rental car to both destinations.

Also, if we wanted to do both, is there a better (easier) town to stay in for the two nights instead of Stavanger?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
1. Re: Is it possible to do Kjerag and Preikestolen on same day?

It should not be a problem to travel between the starting points if you have a car. Accomodation would be either the city or the countryside. You could for example stay at Preikestolhytta.

www.preikestolenfjellstue.no/index.php…

Perhaps also consider a plan B if the weather is unfavourable.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway
reviews: 21
2. Re: Is it possible to do Kjerag and Preikestolen on same day?

The Preikestolen hike takes 4 hrs., the Kjerag hike takes 5 hrs. and to travel between the trailheads takes 2,5-3 hrs. with car and ferry. It is possible to do in one day for extremely fit people, but it will be a very long day!

Consider staying at Lysebotn the night before the Kjerag hike. The best way to travel to Lysebotn is with one of the ferries, bring your car on the ferry.

Montreal, Canada
3. Re: Is it possible to do Kjerag and Preikestolen on same day?

Thanks for the quick answer iverh. You have convinced me that it cannot really be done comfortably from Stavanger. Perhaps I will shuffle my plans a bit and try to stay in the area a little longer.

My only concern now is that I read that the Kjerag trail is only open in late May. Since we are arriving May 30th, is there a chance that the trail would be closed or if not closed a little dangerous?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway
reviews: 21
4. Re: Is it possible to do Kjerag and Preikestolen on same day?

Hiking trails in Norway are never "closed" (there are no park rangers!), they may be "not recommended". The road to Øygardstøl and the season for hiking to Kjerag normally opens in late May, but conditions may vary from one year to the next. You may enquire by e-mail or phone to Stavanger Turistforening shortly before your trip: http://www.stavanger-turistforening.no/

Montreal, Canada
5. Re: Is it possible to do Kjerag and Preikestolen on same day?

We are back from Norway. We did Preikestolen and it took us just over 95 minutes up and 90 minutes down but it was quite the hike. We are not young but I doubt too many people could (or would) do Kjerag after Pulpit Rock. Unfortunately, we didn't get the chance to do Kjerag but Pulpit was amazing!

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
reviews: 103
6. Re: Is it possible to do Kjerag and Preikestolen on same day?

Thanks for returning to the forum with feedback. Glad you had a good time and enjoyed the hike to the Pulpit Rock.

In fact the post right below your post on the Stavanger forum is from someone who did Pulpit Rock and Kjerag in ONE day. Still they would not recommend it after the experience.

Edited: 9:24 pm, June 13, 2012
Holmfirth, United...
reviews: 45
7. Re: Is it possible to do Kjerag and Preikestolen on same day?

I find booking on sites is frustrating all the rooms seem to have a small single bed so you have to pay 3x the person rate on hostel bookers and hostelworld so although they look cheap theres a 50% premium if you are a couple..

I will never book Croatia in July again, the rates are 4x that of the exact same accomodation in may or October.. But it appears the main resorts are severely lacking new hotels and so a good hotel is way over priced.all IMHO but still looking forward to our upcoming break

As regards accomodation we camped at lysebotn and then solvik on the coast road between jorpeland and tau (15 mins drive from prekestolen) both campsites were fantastic although lysebotn is too expensive, I.d recommend wild camping just up the road and sneaking to the showers ;0)

Edited: 2:26 am, June 14, 2012
8. Re: Is it possible to do Kjerag and Preikestolen on same day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, June 18, 2013