We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on Alesund to Geiranger Hurtigruten ferry

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Alesund hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 8
Help on Alesund to Geiranger Hurtigruten ferry

I have some questions about this subject.

I know it's been already discussed a lot, I read all the previous posts, but still can't find a clear answer to it (sorry!). If anyone have already done this trip (or know the details on how to do it) and can help, I would very much apreciate!

I will be traveling to Alesund on the 16th April. As I understood from the Hurtigruten website they start the ferry tour to Geiranger and back on the 15th April. I want to do the ferry tour to Geiranger on the 17th but I have to get back to Alesund on the same day, so I can't stay overnight in Geiranger or somewhere else. So it will have to be a return trip. However their website is not very clear on how, or if it's possible, to book a return trip. It seems we have to buy one ticket from Alesund to Geiranger, and then one ticket from Geiranger to Alesund. Is this correct?

Also it seems we return on the same ship, without even having the chance to go out (arrival at Geiranger 13.25h, departure 13.30h). Is this also correct?

And to finish: is it needed to buy a ticket in advance? Will it be cheaper? And safer to be sure to have availability? Or will it be ok to buy the tickets on the very day of traveling without risking problems of higher prices or sold out places? And if so, where can we buy them in Alesund?

When looking at Hurtigruten website, it looks as if you buy your ticket online, the tickets are sent by mail to your adress. Isn't there an option to print them on our own computer (as most of railways or airlines companies have)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway
reviews: 19
1. Re: Help on Alesund to Geiranger Hurtigruten ferry

The on-line booking system is not well adapted to the trip Ålesund-Geiranger-Ålesund, so yes, your remark on on-line booking is correct. BUT - for a short day-time trip without cabin there is no reason to book in advance. The easiest is to buy your ticket trom the reception/ticket office on board. The ships can carry hundreds of deck passengers, April is not high season, so there is no risk that the ship will be full.

Stockholm, Sweden
2. Re: Help on Alesund to Geiranger Hurtigruten ferry

Thank you for your quick answer!

But... is the price the same bought online as it is at reception/ticket office on board the ship on the trip day?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway
reviews: 19
3. Re: Help on Alesund to Geiranger Hurtigruten ferry

I haven't been able to check, but I think a ticket for a trip without cabin is the same price on-line or on board.

Charmouth, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Help on Alesund to Geiranger Hurtigruten ferry

I can confirm there is no discounted online booking with Hurtigruten and you'll have no problem just paying at reception on the ship.

Stockholm, Sweden
5. Re: Help on Alesund to Geiranger Hurtigruten ferry

Thank you so much!

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 69
6. Re: Help on Alesund to Geiranger Hurtigruten ferry

Yes, it is the same ship. The ship does not dock at Geiranger, it drops passengers off into a tender which docks. The ship hardly stops before it is off again.

Most, if not all, passengers are taking a Hurtigruten excursion which will drop them back at the dockside in Alesund later in the day.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
7. Re: Help on Alesund to Geiranger Hurtigruten ferry

Only disembarking passengers or those taking the excursion may leave the ship in Geiranger - the tender only calls once.

Link to excursion (available from Apr 16th)

Excursions may sell out if you order same day - they order buses according to advance bookings.

Edited: 10:29 am, March 08, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
8. Re: Help on Alesund to Geiranger Hurtigruten ferry

Thank you all for the details!

But guys... I'm also getting "mixed" info! The Hurtigruten website says they start on the 15th, "klymaflyktning" says it's on the 16th.

"iverh" says I can buy the tickets the same day of the trip, no risk the ship will be full, "klymaflyktning" says it can sell out...

So... regarding buying tickets - is it better to buy in advance or not?

I would buy them if the website was easy to go through and if I could print them at home. But the website is confusing and it seems I have to wait for them to send the tickets by mail.

On the other hand, if it really can sell out (?) it's a risk to leave it to the trip day...

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 69
9. Re: Help on Alesund to Geiranger Hurtigruten ferry

It the excursion from Geiranger by bus that is likely to sell out.

The ships are large and it is very very unlikely that the trip from Alesund returnon board the ship will sell out. Relax and buy your tickets when in Alesund. April is still low season.

Kuala Lumpur...
10. Re: Help on Alesund to Geiranger Hurtigruten ferry

Hi,

I think the cost is 490NOK for last year and you can buy your ticket on board. I did that last year.

Check out here:

www.travellingtips.info/2013/02/alesund.html

Get answers to your questions about Alesund