We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with 7 day itinerary in June

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 16
Please help with 7 day itinerary in June

My 18 year old daughter and I will be travelling to Norway from Spain for 7 days mid-June.

We are very excited to see Bergen, Fjords, hiking, biking and any other adventures you can suggest.

We thought it best to fly into Bergen and out of Alesund??

Usually I can get a good idea of a rough itinerary by reading posts on TA, but this trip is throwing me for a loop. I seriously have no idea how to map this out. I've spent countless hours reading old posts, and I'm still lost.

Basically what we've figured out is we really want to see Bergen, Geirangerfjord, hike, maybe kayak, and maybe take a scenic ferry ride or train ride or both? We love adventure and breathtaking scenery!

We haven't purchased tickets yet, but the best connection is from Barcelona direct to Bergen. It seems we can fly back to Amsterdam from several western cities. Alesund looks really pretty, but maybe it's too far for a week long trip?

Again, we are very lost and would love help. Thanks!!

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
reviews: 23
1. Re: Please help with 7 day itinerary in June

If you really want to bike, kayak and hike then maybe biking Rallarvegen ..http://www.rallarvegen.com/ as a start to Norway in a Nutshell tour from Bergen. Kayaking in Flam or preferably Balestrand then travelling to Stavanger to hike to Preikestolen. That plus a little sightseeing in Bergen should fill up your week if you are including your arrival and departure days in your 7. Fly out from Stavanger to avoid backtracking.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
reviews: 103
2. Re: Please help with 7 day itinerary in June

Have you also read through some relevant trip reports? If you go to the last pages and start with this years report and work your way backwards you may find an itinerary that may also work for you.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190455-i550-k3785…

Oslo
reviews: 60
3. Re: Please help with 7 day itinerary in June

For the fjords you can use Stavanger, Bergen, Haugesund or Ålesund airports. Depends what is convenient and good tickets, Amsterdam is well connected in all directions (and personally I think it is a better hub than Frankfurt, London or Paris). If you visit fjords closest to Bergen (Flåm-Balestrand for instance), there is really no need to go to Geiranger. Ålesund is nice, but one afternoon perhaps enough.

Exeter, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Please help with 7 day itinerary in June

We did a trip from Ålesund to Bergen last July but had 12 full days. It was a fantastic holiday. Based on our experience last year, this is what I might do in your shoes:

Day 1-2: Bergen – one or two nights– we had 2 full days there and that was fine; could have managed on less but it was really wonderful. We did a lot and had wall to wall sunshine which I believe is not the norm! We stayed 3 nights, one at the Havnekontoret hotel near Bryggen and 2 nights in a B&B (Anne-Helene).

Day 3: Then to Sognefjord – NiN route – train to Voss, bus to Gudvangen (or just bus from Bergen to Gudvangen). The Flåm railway is very popular but if I were doing this again I wouldn’t bother – OK I live across the road from a scenic coastal steam railway so train rides not a novelty – I found it underwhelming compared to the rest of the trip and Flåm is not a must see IMO. I would take the ferry to Kaupanger from Gudvangen (through Nærøyfjord – wonderful) then bus to Sogndal then Solvorn. ?2 nights there. http://www.eplet.net/public.htm we stayed here for 4 days/5 nights and it was great. It might not be for you (it’s technically a hostel) but worth taking a look. We would go back there like a shot. Loads of friendly people and great activities (glacier trip a highlight…). I gather Balestrand is a nice place too on the Sognefjord.

Day 5: Then bus to Lom – wonderful scenic route, few hours in Lom (v nice, stave church etc – and there is a great zip wire over the river!) then bus to Geiranger. ?1-2 nights. We stayed in Hole Hytteutleige – v basic cabin but fabulous view and good starting points for hikes. In Geiranger: we got the boat to Skageflå and climbed up to the farm; we did a trip where we were driven up to 1000m then cycled down – fantastic experience, would do that again. Again we were lucky with the weather – sunny all the way.

Day 7: Hurtigruten to Ålesund (or there’s a scenic bus route too – actually nearly all bus rides we did were scenic). As you said, Ålesund is really pretty. Nice hikes around – Sukkertoppen, Storhornet etc. You can kayak there on the Brosundet I believe.

Day 8 (or 9 if you can!) fly out of Ålesund

As I say this is a personal view. Not sure how to fit it into 7 days but should be doable if you like activity, and you sound quite energetic! We had 12 days and did have 2-3 slow days. But OsloViking’s advice is sensible – maybe stick to Bergen and Sognefjord, lovely though it is further north.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway
reviews: 19
5. Re: Please help with 7 day itinerary in June

Enthusiastic and excellent trip report from Kayw294, and it would be very tempting to follow in his/her footsteps. Only be aware that the leg Solvorn-Lom-Geiranger by bus will not be possible in mid-June, these buses start running around the 23rd of June.

Exeter, United...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Please help with 7 day itinerary in June

Ah yes, we were there in July so tourist route buses were at full strength. But perhaps it's possible to do Sogndal-Hellesylt via Stryn earlier in the year, then ferry to Geiranger - that route looks lovely too on street view although no zip wire en route :)

Oslo
7. Re: Please help with 7 day itinerary in June

If you start from Bergen there is no need to spend time on buses all the way up to Geiranger. Sognefjord area (with Flåm, Balestrand, Fjærland etc) has plenty to offer. Some names are more well known than others, but don't let that distract you - there are great landscapes everywhere in the fjord area and you will not be disappointed.

Note however that biking on the highest part of Rallarvegen may be difficult in mid June as there is probably still some snow. Hiking is best in lowland or intermediate altitudes, the mountains in Bergen are actually very nice for hiking in early season (June is early hiking season in the highlands). Along Bergen railway line the skiing season lasts until mid or late May.

Bergen line and Rallarvegen in June

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto49723.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto36802.jpg

Myrdal on Bergen line

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto64207.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto70758.jpg

Nærøyfjorden in June

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto50334.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto57097.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto43628.jpg

Minneapolis...
reviews: 16
8. Re: Please help with 7 day itinerary in June

Thanks for all the wonderful replies!

It seems maybe our desire to see Geirangerfjord is naïve. Is it better to focus on the other activities, biking, hiking etc., and then see what Fjords are along the way.

We are coming to Norway to see the Fjords(as most do), but maybe they are all very similar experiences?

My daughter saw Pulpit Rock in her research...is something unique to plan on? Are there any "must see" hiking trails or biking trails that would give us some direction?

Kayw294, Thank you for the detailed suggestions! That's exactly what we need! Did you feel like you spent a lot of time traveling- my daughter is not hip on long train/car rides.

If we cut off a day in Bergen, do you think your itinerary would be doable in 7 nights without too much travel time?

Thanks again for all the help!!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
9. Re: Please help with 7 day itinerary in June

I think perhaps you underestimate distances. 7 days to cover the Western Fjords areas and you will have to travel a lot. To see the fjords and not travel is not realistic. Nature is the main attraction and the travel is the sightseeing.

For Pulpit Rock you need to focus on Stavanger - easily accessed by KLM. And you need to calculate one full day for the transport and the hike, excluding your arrival day. Getting from Stavanger to Bergen takes 5 hours on the bus or alternatively a short flight. In any case, the day is mostly "lost" to travel.

It is fully possible to get to Geiranger if that is a prioirity, for example by overnight ferry from Bergen or by bus and ferry from Ålesund.

Oslo
10. Re: Please help with 7 day itinerary in June

Geirangerfjord happens to be well known, it is certainly nice but not unique, there lots of fjords all over western Norway that are equally nice. As you can see from pictures of Nærøyfjorden (Flåm-Gudvangen) for instance. In fact, Geirangerfjord and Nærøyfjorden are together listed as world heritage sites.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1195

A lot of travel by public transport to get to Geiranger and back. You will not be disappointed about fjords around Flåm, Gudvangen and Balestrand.

More pictures

https:/…Fjords_of_Norway