We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help for my first trip to Norway

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
reviews: 17
Need Help for my first trip to Norway

I'm planning my first trip to Norway and I'd like receiving feedback regarding it:

1) Will occur latest week May/2014 or first week June/2014

2) I'll be in a rented car with my wife, starting and finishing in Berger.

3) I usually drive 250/300 kilometers per day in my trips.

According to trips' reviews, I'd like to do the route below:

Bergen=>Odda=>Tyssedal=>Voss=>Gudvangen=>Myrdal=>Flam=>Balestrand

Briksdalsbreen=>Olden=>Hellesylt=>Geiranger=>Dalsnibba=>Bergen.

Is this route doable?

Could it be done in 03 days?How long?

Could anybody give me a idea regarding cost ( fuel, ferry boats, tolls) for a compact/economic car?

I know the it's not the best way but I love stop, take photos and filming along my trips.

All info will be welcome even to say me:You are crazy (LOL)

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
1. Re: Need Help for my first trip to Norway

The route is doable, the only obstacle I can see would be Myrdal as only accessible by train.

Please search the forum for more ideas on itineraries-it is a very repetitive question. And take a look at some of the trip reports. Visit Norway is also a very good site for driving ideas-use the search function. FjordTours also offer different driving itineraries with Bergen as starting point. For car rental get a quote from one of the international companies. With ViaMichelin you can calculate including petrol costs. Ferries depend on your exact route. Only tourist ferries are expensive.

Oslo
reviews: 61
2. Re: Need Help for my first trip to Norway

Myrdal is a rail junction and not available by car, but the train ride up and down is recommended.

I would not do that route in 3 days, too much driving. Consider skipping Geiranger (or Odda).

Check rental companies for day rates. Then add something like 1 NOK per km, use Google Maps to calculate kilometers (but not driving times). The only really expensive ferry is Gudvangen-Kaupanger (and perhaps Geiranger-Hellesylt).

fjord1.no/turistruter/geiranger-hellesylt2

Odda and Hardanger is great in May:

…wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Der_Sorfjord.jpg

…wikimedia.org/wiki/File:%C3%86dnafossen.jpg

…wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tour_Hardangervidda…

In my opinion a self drive is an excellent way to see western Norway, 250 km/day is enough if you want time for photo and small strolls.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3. Re: Need Help for my first trip to Norway

Hei Klima flyktning og Oslo Viking,

God morgen,

Thanks for the support of You. I'll follow Yours advices.

Takk!

Hade!

Bergen, Norway
reviews: 1
4. Re: Need Help for my first trip to Norway

What kind of countries have you driven in on your vacations? There are huge differences between different countries when it comes to stuff like; are the roads straight, flat land area, high speed limits etc. Driving in countries like Denmark, Germany, The Netherlands ++ you can drive 300km on very straight and flat roads at a high speed limit. Driving like that takes you for long distances in a short matter of time. In Norway on the other hand, and particulary the West coast where you want to go, we have basically no straight roads, there are mountains and hills everywhere, so you will be driving up and down hills or through tunnels, and because of this the speedlimits are not very high. Driving in and out of tunnels also makes you very tired. You also say that you want to stop and take photos and film, and with this in mind, I don`t think that driving 300km a day in Norway would work for you. I would check out this link:

http://www.fjordtours.com/en/norway-by-car/

I would suggest this tour:

fjordtours.com/en/…

You can also check out :

http://www.visitbergen.com/en/

We celebrate Our national day the 17th of May - and I think you would enjoy that - if you are able to come that early.

Edited: 2:30 pm, August 23, 2013
Bergen, Norway
reviews: 1
5. Re: Need Help for my first trip to Norway

BTW if you are dependent on eyeglasses, I would highly suggest bying the kind of sunglasses that you attatch on the top of Your regular eyeglasses and can flip up and down over Your glasses. When you drive in and out of tunnels in spring/summer her on the west coast, you need to have sunglasses that you easily can take on/off because the tunnels are so dark, so you wont be able so see a thing because of the Sharp light outside the tunnel.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
6. Re: Need Help for my first trip to Norway

I have no problem at all wearing glasses in/out of tunnels. The modern eyeglasses that change to sunglasses when necessary are very quick indeed and the problems associated with the earlier version of such glasses are eliminated.

Besides, most tunnels are very well lit.

Edited: 5:11 pm, August 23, 2013
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
7. Re: Need Help for my first trip to Norway

Thanks for all support I'm receiving from all of You.

For sure I must changing my point of view regarding to driving a car in this next trip.

Based in Your advices, I went to YOUTUBE site and saw a lot of videos regarding to driving in Norway.

I'll review my journey considering these informations.

Another doubt: Is really necessary buy tickets in advance for the ferries, even going in end of May and avoiding travelling in the weekend?

Best regards,

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
8. Re: Need Help for my first trip to Norway

Yes, driving in Norway is slow, but also part of the sightseeing rather than mere transport legs.

Only tourist ferries are bookable.

List of scenic roads

http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

Driving in Norway

http://www.visitnorway.com/driving-in-norway

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
9. Re: Need Help for my first trip to Norway

Hi,

When You say:only tourist ferries are bookables, You mean are there non-tourist ferries to go with the car, along the touristics routes?

Are they cheaper ? How to distinguish one from another?

Thanks

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
10. Re: Need Help for my first trip to Norway

Most of the ferries are part of the road network and they are not expensive. Tourist ferries operate in the summer season to give visitors transport and sightseeing all in one on the famous fjords like Nærøyfjord and Geiranger. They are not subsidised like the ordinary ferries and thus more expensive.