We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geinger to oslo or bergen ...seeking advice

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
reviews: 94
Geinger to oslo or bergen ...seeking advice

Hi , I have changed my trip itinerary a little bit as cost of flying either from Bergen / alesund / oslo almost coming the same..so here I go ..I hav 2 itinearies ..either land in oslo or alesund ..everythig by public transportation

1) Aleusund - Geiranger ..(2 hrs by bus ) ...Geiranger to Mt danishibba view point by bus (2 hrs ) and eagle road ..

2) xplore the region -- helicopter trip over the fiord

3) Geiranger to either bergen or oslo ...as I wanna do norway in nutshell tour ...Firstly which is more scenic route ...Geiranger -helleyslt (ferry ) --Its beautiful .., helleyslt - bergen by express bus ( Is this part scenic as well )

or Geinger to oslo ( alesund- andalsnes bus . andalsnes - dombas -train , dombas - oslo train )

which would be more scenic route ....As its part of rauma railway ..So am doubtful , what to choose

Also , If I am taking ferrr from geriranger to helleyslt , I would be ssing a part of geinger fiord ...then should I take an boat trip on geingerfiord as well ..Mainly I am interested in seeing top views as will be doing norway in nutshell cruise ..

4) bergen /oslo (depending upon what I choose to day 3 )

norway in nutshell trip ..

5) glacier walking in jostedal glacier ...nigardsbreen ....Now for this ..can I go to balestrand or sogndal by express boat from bergen (i think that would be costly and its 5 hrs by boat if am not wrong and again dnt wanna spend 5 hrs on ferry )..or by any land transportation ..as I will already be covering that part in norway in nutshell tour ....Should I break Nin tour at a point and go to balestrand or sogndal to go to glacier walking ....

Or do some glacier trip near geiranger or aleusnd ....

Or do folgefonna glacier trip from bergen ....Is this one spectacular like nigrdsbreen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also , a question If I come back from geiranger by hellyslt to balestrand (balestrand to go to jostedal glacier ) ...Is that possible ....

thanks

Oslo
reviews: 61
1. Re: Geinger to oslo or bergen ...seeking advice

Your spelling is a bit confusing so I am not sure what your questions are.

3) There is only a narrow Geirangerfjord so you don't miss anything by taking the ferry vs going on boat safari.

Virtually all travel in western Norway is scenic, there are great fjords everywhere. The express bus to Bergen travels along or across several great fjords. But since you have already done a lot of travelling in western fjords, perhaps the train ride to Oslo from Åndalsnes can be something different.

5) If you are already at Sognefjord (nutshell type), then you could cross to the northern side (instead of returning from Bergen) and continue to Nigardsbreen by bus.

New Delhi, India
2. Re: Geinger to oslo or bergen ...seeking advice

Oooops , you are mistaken ..I am coming norway for first time ...since its once a lifetime opportunity, want to see must visits nd Geingerfiord , unesco world heritage sites including Nayerfiord ..

Oslo
3. Re: Geinger to oslo or bergen ...seeking advice

Not sure what I am mistaken about.

Your plan seems to include a lot of travelling in the western fjords. If you skip the express bus from Hellesylt to Bergen you will not miss anything, it will just be more of the same. Geirangerfjord is certainly nice, but not very different from several other fjords all along west Norway.

New Delhi, India
4. Re: Geinger to oslo or bergen ...seeking advice

Hmm ...you said you will be travelling a lot in western fiords ...hmm I am just covering norway in nutshell tour ...so , does that cover almost number of fiords in western region ...actually I am more interested on seeing top view points of fiord rather than going in water boat everytime to fiord ...already have seen milford in Nz ..I am not bothered about how long is fiord or how deep or how large but spectacular photography from top ...

For geingerfiord , I found the top view points along the road without much hiking ..will that be possible in case of naeryofiord ...or aurlandsfiord ...I have been missing top views due to weather in countries I have already visited , thats why am keen on view points of fiords from top without hiking much ...

Oslo
5. Re: Geinger to oslo or bergen ...seeking advice

Aurlandsfjord you can easily see from the Stegastein panorama point

…wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Stegastein2.jpg

New Delhi, India
6. Re: Geinger to oslo or bergen ...seeking advice

Thanks a lot nd lot dear ..other view points ...hardangerfiord has any ...I read aboutview point u just mentioned , for this we have to get down at bus stop and wait for another bus ..plz tell some more view points easily accessible ..jostedal or jotunheim national park ..

Oslo
7. Re: Geinger to oslo or bergen ...seeking advice

It's very difficult to understand your writing.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
8. Re: Geinger to oslo or bergen ...seeking advice

Vimmyaora, you are babbling again. I suggest you study the timetables/itinerary for Gieranger and Norway in a Nutshell. These timetables are coordinated to maximise your time and insure that you get to see all the best scenery. And probably the best alternative given your limited time frame.

Your original plan to do Geiranger and the Sognefjord area could be doable.

norwaynutshell.com/en/…

New Delhi, India
9. Re: Geinger to oslo or bergen ...seeking advice

And am finding names of places and fiords so difficult ...

New Delhi, India
10. Re: Geinger to oslo or bergen ...seeking advice

Dear klima fly ...I have already mentioned , am not interested in spending time on water ..that means sailing ..If I book the trip with fjord tours for norway in nutshell and geingerfiord , then they are taking hurtigruten cruise , which am not at all interested in taking ...that is unnecessary adding to costs ..

I am sorry that you are not able to understand what I am looking for ..