We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norway Trip advise

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Al Khobar
reviews: 9
Norway Trip advise

I am planning about 8 days trip to Norway in August & I have been researching on Forum to make best of it. I seem to have now got thoroughly confused. This is what I have roughly planed:

Arrive in Stockholm or Copenhagen (Aug 7) (OR Oslo), Use a day and Half in the City

Leave for Bergen Aug 9- Mid Day, Use ½ a day for Fl0ibanan Funicular

Excursion -1 day Hardangerfjord in Nutshell- stay in Bergen (Aug 10)

Express Boat to Balestrand – Stay in Balestrand (Aug 11)

Excursion Glacier- ½ day or 1day -Stay Balestrand (Aug 12)

Arrive Oslo Aug 13,

Leave Oslo Aug 14 noon

Looking for suggestions as whether it will be better to skip Stockholm/Copenhagen all together & use the time in Norway. Somehow I do not see much to do in Bergen itself, So looking for other Excursions,

Also another question is on Veg food, we are strict Veg, Really planning to carry rice cooker, but that would require Accommodations with Kitchen at least at Bergen/Balestrand & really would like to avoid cooking ,

Thanks In advance,

JR

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
1. Re: Norway Trip advise

It all depends what you prefer - fjords and nature or cities.

For the fjords I suggest you go directly to Bergen and do the Nutshell excursions like Norway in a Nutshell and Hardanger in a Nutshell.

For strict vegetarians, it would be better to have a city as a base. There will be very little choice of vegetarian food in the countryside (fjords).

I do suggest you try and find an apartment in Bergen - this way you can make picnics for your day excursions.

There is plenty to see and do in Bergen

http://www.visitbergen.com/en/attractions/

Perhaps combine with Stockholm - there are direct flights between the two.

Al Khobar
2. Re: Norway Trip advise

Thanks for a very prompt reply. Preference is to the Fjords. However would like visit a City if we can do it without too much Hassles. I shall look for an Apartment, I found some accommodation Available in HI Hostel, which requires use of a Bus as it is away from City. Will it be Convenient considering that we might have to leave early & come back late, Would Taxicabs be available at these hours and generally how much it is likely to cost?

Bergen Hotels seems to fairly expensive, But anyway it is a tourist Place after all!

Once again Thks for Your help.

Al Khobar
3. Re: Norway Trip advise

Thanks for a very prompt reply. Preference is to the Fjords. However would like visit a City if we can do it without too much Hassles. I shall look for an Apartment, I found some accommodation Available in HI Hostel, which requires use of a Bus as it is away from City. Will it be Convenient considering that we might have to leave early & come back late, Would Taxicabs be available at these hours and generally how much it is likely to cost?

Bergen Hotels seems to fairly expensive, But anyway it is a tourist Place after all!

Once again Thks for Your help.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
4. Re: Norway Trip advise

If you are referring to the Montana Youth Hostel, there are buses. There is also a hostel in town. Hotels are expensive all over Norway and so is eating out - even more so when you have special dietary requirements as the choice of restaurants will be limited. Taxis are always readily available but expensive too.

I think apartment with cooking facilities is the way to go. In the fjords you may rent self catering cabins at campings and you may find apartments as well.

Al Khobar, Ash...
5. Re: Norway Trip advise

Thanks forassistance,

6. Re: Norway Trip advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 05, 2014