We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth visiting in December?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 73
Worth visiting in December?

I wanted to visit Norway for four days at the end of December but with the daylight hours would it be worth seeing the fjords from Bergen or doing the Norway in a Nutshell?

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
reviews: 103
1. Re: Worth visiting in December?

To be honest, I would postpone the visit until spring or summer if you can. Norway shuts down between Christmas Eve and New Years Day. Daylight hours are short and there is in general not much going on or see, other than doing the NiN which can be a hit or miss during that time weather wise.

Oslo
reviews: 133
2. Re: Worth visiting in December?

It depends. If you are in good company, it's worth it. If not, you'll feel alone. It's very quiet.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
reviews: 346
3. Re: Worth visiting in December?

I lived in Bergen all of last year and most of the previous year and found the wintertime to be my favorite. Bergen is an absolutely gorgeous city and the snow only made it more fairytale. It is possible to see most of Bergen during the short daylight hours. It has some great museums with JC Dahl and Edward Munch paintings and the Hanseatic UNESCO world heritage site The Bryggen is also well worth visiting. I did see boats leaving port to do the fiord tours but never did the tourist boats myself so I can't comment. Bergen also has a great nightlife on the waterfront and city center particularly on weekends.

Oslo
reviews: 133
4. Re: Worth visiting in December?

@robert c: I've lived in Bergen myself, and totally agree with you. It's a lovely town. But the week between Christmas and New Year.. While Englishmen tend to go out to meet friends and party during Christmas, Norwegians retreat to their homes.The cafés and restaurants will be quite empty, if open at all. On New Year's eve, most parties are also private, but there will be partying in the town as well.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
5. Re: Worth visiting in December?

Well, I have lived most of my life in and around Bergen and also think it is a lovely and charming city. Tourists seem to think so as well if we can trust the trip reports. And I did spend last Christmas in central Bergen. Sorry to say, there was not much snow - on the other hand it was bucketing down for days on end. The papers said there was one single pub open to the public, but the weather was so bad that I did not feel like going outside to investigate. Will try again this year :)

All attractions are closed - only the funicular runs but less frequently.

The NiN will run from Dec 27 till Dec 30th and is ok as the interesting bits are more or less within daylight hours.

Oslo
reviews: 60
6. Re: Worth visiting in December?

Weather in Bergen is famously unpredictable, and it is not a secret that Bergen is one of the rainiest city in Europe. On the other hand, Bergen is never really cold like Norway's interior. And because weather is unstable, one day can be gloomy and the next day brilliant with crystal air and snow on the summits - on such days one can understand Bergen's reputation as one of Norway's nicest cities. Unfortunatly December is not the best month, relatively short days and most precipitation.

7. Re: Worth visiting in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, December 16, 2013