We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bergen or Haugesund?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire, UK
reviews: 25
Bergen or Haugesund?

Which is the better base for exploring the fjords?

Also, can anyone recommend a one-day fjord boat trip?

Would a hire car be better than public transport/tours?

There are three of us and we will stay about 4 nights.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Stavanger, Norway
reviews: 105
1. Re: Bergen or Haugesund?

Hi

When are you going to Norway? I think there is more for you to see and do if you take the fast boat to Bergen or Stavanger. Both can be reached by using Flaggruten (schedule can be found at http://www.hsd.no/upload/Side%2011.pdf).

It is of course better with a car as you can get to places that are difficult to reach by public transportation. In the Stavanger area where I live it is e.g. hard to get to Kjerag (amazing place located in the Lyse fjord), Måna fossen (the highest water fall in Rogaland etc). And it is even a bit hard to get to places like the Pulpit rock if you come here outside the main tourist season.

When it comes to fjord tours...check out http://www.rodne.no/eng_index.cfm or http://www.fjord-tours.com/default.asp

I hope that you will also get some feedback from people in the Bergen area

Regards

Gard

Yorkshire, UK
reviews: 25
2. Re: Bergen or Haugesund?

Gard, many thanks for your help. We were thinking of June or July for the trip for the long daylight hours and (hopefully!) sunny days. We can be flexible on timing - would you recommend any other months?

David

Stavanger, Norway
reviews: 105
3. Re: Bergen or Haugesund?

Hi

June/July is a good time here...I would say that beginning of June is probably the best. Then you can still experience snow on top of the mountains (like at Kjerag) and you can still have nice temperatures at sea level. In June/July it will also be easier to get around to different attractions as this is the "main" tourist season in Norway.

I have posted a couple of trip reports with some pictures from hikes to places like Kjerag and Pulpit rock on my personal homepage. Due to forum guidelines I'm not allowed to post the link here but if you google search my name gardkarlsen you should be able to find it. Maybe you can find some useful information there :-)

Regards

Gard

Norway
reviews: 2
4. Re: Bergen or Haugesund?

I would reccomend Bergen, because it is a bigger town, and much more to see than Stavanger. Bergen is a town between 7 mountains with lots of turists atractions. You can see the Fish marked in the town fjord, then take the Funicular (maountain train to Mount Fløyen) and get to see the whole Bergen and the fjord for your feet. You can take buses everywhare, and some buses are free between the centre and the big busstation. You can take the bus to Old Bergen, wich is a little "town" with small houses and shops. It really is a differnet type of a museum where you can go inside the houses and see how people lived before in Norway (also guided tours if you like). There is also a bakery there where you can buy fresh buns with sugar and cinamon, Bergens spesiallity. There are lots of musemus and there's "Vannkanten", where children and parents can bath and realax and have fun (they also have a departement for grown ups only with a pool a bar and a spa). From Bergen you can take the train to most places, and just go off and walk about where you want. Welcom to Norway and I hope you'll have a wonderfull time!

Halden. Norway
reviews: 39
5. Re: Bergen or Haugesund?

Bergen, no doubt. Bergen has much more to offer the visitors and the world´s longest fjord, Sognefjord, is just up north. A trip on Sognefjord down Aurlandsfjord to Flåm, and then the train/bus back to Bergen is very much recommended. www.visitbergen.com has info on guided tours. I would say that public transport/tours is better for the first time visitor to this area.