We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Bergen to Kristiansund

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Western Norway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
reviews: 3
Driving from Bergen to Kristiansund

We are thinking about driving a rental car from Bergen up the coast to the Arctic Highway between Molde and Kristiansund (recently named the most beautiful road trip in the world by The Guardian) , turning around at Kristiansund and coming back to Bergen. We may stay the night in Krakenes along the way, and want to stop in Alesund at least for a few hours. Could anyone tell me how much driving time we should allow? It doesn't look very far on the map, but I am unsure if we will have to take any ferries and how curvy and slow the roads might be, so I am unsure how much driving time to allow.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Bergen, Norway
reviews: 80
1. Re: Driving from Bergen to Kristiansund

Hello.

Have you already planned which way to drive ??

The most westerly starting withE39 out of Bergen or can I give you some ideas??

Anyway, you will need two days to Kristiansund and a lot of ferries -but you do no have to book in advance.

The Atlanerhavsveien is only a short ride - about 8 km, but between the two cities there are so many things to do and see. And you coming from Colorado, will discover a complete different scenery than back home.

Staying at Krakenes light house - try to book in advance.

Another beautiful place to spend a day/night would be in Bremangerlandet - at Kalvag ( try to find myreview/pictures under western fjords).

I`ll come back to you.

Denver, Colorado
2. Re: Driving from Bergen to Kristiansund

Grethe -

Thank you for your reply. To answer your question, we have not planned how to drive yet, and are finding it a bit confusing. We would like to do the journey from Bergen to Kristiansund in two days as you suggested if possible. Any suggestions as to how to go would be appreciated.

We will see Geiranger Fjord on the cruise earlier in the trip, so we don't need to see that again. I read your review of Bremangerlandet. and Kalvag, and it sounds wonderful! We would like to visit there on the way if it's not too far out of the way. We are also open to staying there overnight if it makes sense. The lighthouse in Krakenes may be too far out of the way for our timeframe.

Thanks for your help!

Bergen, Norway
3. Re: Driving from Bergen to Kristiansund

Hello Coloradan.

I`ll try to give you a very detailed suggestion for a route northwards so you can go back to your maps and follow the trip and see if it is anything you would like to do.

Bergen - Krisitansund the directly route is 517 km one way + ferries.

Day 1: Starting around 8.00a.m.

Bergen - Oppedal ( E39) about 120km - takes you over the Nordhordlands bridge ( the longest floating bridge in the world) no toll - along fjords , through valleys to the southern shores of Sognefjord in 1 1/2 -2 hours.

Crossing the Sognefjord :Ferry Oppedal - Lavik ( 20 min.)

Lavik - Forde ( E39) 65 km ( Forde is a small town- about 8000.)

Forde- Naustdal-Storebru (R5) - 28km tollroad

Storebru - Sandane(R615) 72km

Sandane - Anda (E39) 12 km

Ferry Anda - Lote ( 10min)

Lote-Nordfjordeid - Volda -Orsta - Festoya ( E39) 116km/ or Nordfjordeid-Folkestad and ferry to Volda .

Ferry Festoya - Solavagen ( 20 min.)

Solavagen - Spjelkavik / -Sjoholt- Vestnes ( E39) 70km

From Moa ( just after Spjelkavik) to Alesund it is a short detour of 11 km !

This first day is rather hard, and time of arrival in Alesund depends on if you have to wait for ferries or not. But since two of your main goals are to spend some hours in Alesund and drive the Atlantic road ( with the stops it deserves), I would rather have a long and hard day out from Bergen.

It is about 470km Bergen - Alesund along this route, and incl. ferries you should be able to arrive in Alesund in the late afternoon/ early evening and stay over night there.

Spend your evening in the town - walk around look at all the beautiful Jugend style houses, walk the more than 400 steps to the top of mount Aksla for a beautiful view over the town and the islands west of Alesund.

Have an excellent dinner at Sjobua ( mainly seafood).

If you think it will be too long a day - stop i.e. near Volda.

Day 2:

Alesund -Moa- Sjoholt -Vestnes ( about 70km)

Ferry Vestnes - Molde ( crossing the fjord in 45 min.)

Molde - Skaret - Sylte (R64),continue on R663 to Elnesvågen - Bud -Hustad and Vevang (about 65 km)

Make a stop at Bud and

Then you have reached the Atlanterhavsveien !!

From Rangoy to Bremsnes 20km and then the last ferry to Kristianssund ( 20 min.)

Total 576 km + ferries.

Depending on when you start out from Alesund, you will arrive in Krisitiansund early afternoon and have plenty of time to see the town.

Do you think this looks difficult ?? It is not. The road are wellposted, the ferries runs on scheduled time, and you can drive with an average speed out of the cities in 60 km an hour.

Think about it and let me know, and I `ll come back to a southbound route for you that takes you more westerly.

Denver, Colorado
4. Re: Driving from Bergen to Kristiansund

Grethe -

This route looks good! Thanks so much for your help.

As far as the return south, we are considering going directly to Balestrand rather than through Bergen, as the Songefjord is our next destination. Would that be advisable?

Thanks again,

julie

Bergen, Norway
5. Re: Driving from Bergen to Kristiansund

Hello coloradan.

Yes, you do not have to go through Bergen coming from north and end Balestrand.

Would you like to do a direct route or spend some time on a more westerly route than going northwards to Krisitansund ??

Let me know if you want my suggestions.

Denver, Colorado
6. Re: Driving from Bergen to Kristiansund

Grethe -

Yes, that would be great if you could help us with the route from Kristiansund to Balestrand. It would be nice to go a more westerly route, perhaps through both Alesund and Bremangerlandet, the place you recommended on another forum, if it is convenient. It looks now like we might actually drive from Oslo to Kristiansund, then Kristiansund to Balestrand, then Balestrand to Oslo. We have 7 or 8 days to do this, and want a few days to stop and enjoy the Songefjord. Does this seem reasonable?

We will already have been in Bergen earlier in the trip before departing on the cruise, so we won't do that on this portion.

Again, thanks so much for your help!

Julie/Coloradoan

Bergen, Norway
7. Re: Driving from Bergen to Kristiansund

Hello.

I have a suggestion for you driving soutwards from Kristiansund to Balestrand. It involves a lot of ferries, but I can assure you will see some of the best of the western part of Norway.

Kristiansund: if you already have driven the Atlantic road and want a different route out of Kr.sund, drive the underwater tunnel Freifjord and continue to Molde ( 75 km).

If not, drive south along the Atlantic road passing ( stopping) at Bud and continuing to Molde.

Molde:ferry from Julneset to Solholmen on the island of Otroy drive across the island- just about 35 km - a new ferry from Dyna to Brattvag and onwards to Aalesund .

Visit Aalesund - an interesting little town with a wonderful view towards the socalled Sunnmorsalpene ( mountains shaped like alps).

Ferry from Sulasund to Hareid (25 min.)driving over Gurskoy to Aarvik where you again cath a ferry( 10 min.) to Koparneset.

Drive R61to Aaheim, and if you want to visit Slje and West cape, take a sidetour on R620. You can drive your car all the way to West cape - the most westerly point on the Norwegian mainland.

Continue either on R61 or R620 + 618 and at last a few km west to Maaloy where you take the ferry to Oldeidet (35 min.)

Then you can visit Kalvaag/Bremangerlandet. The white sandy beach Grotlesanden is probably warm enough for a swim.If you stayin Kalvag, have a lunch or dinner at Knutholmen ( you can even have shark for dinner !!).

Even if this route give you some ferry trips, most of the ferries are just a short ride ( 10 minutes till 40 min.)

If / when you have visited Bremangerlandet ( may be this will be day 2 or 3 ??) continue by ferry from Smorhamn to Kjelkenes ( the longest ferry trip on this route - 40 min.) Drive R 614 + R5 to Forde (70km) and then you just have 100km passing the waterfalls Hulderfossen and Vallestadfossen and crossing the mountain Gaularfjellet with specatular views before ending in Balestrand.

This will be a trip out of the most "touristic" ways, but not less beautiful.

If you take the tour, tell me on Tripadvisor when you are back in Colorado, pls.

On your voyage on board the Hurtigruten to Trondheim, you will see Bud and the Atlantic road at a distance, and you will pass not far from the West cape.But you cannot see Bremangerlandet from Hurtigruten.

Have a wonderful tour both onboard the Hurtigruten, the drive more inland from Oslo to Kristiansund and back to Balestrand.

Denver, Colorado
8. Re: Driving from Bergen to Kristiansund

Grethe -

I can't thank you enough for all your help! The road trip sounds fabulous.

We are leaving this Sunday and so excited about the opportunity to see your beautiful country! I'll let you know how it all goes...

Thanks again,

Coloradoan