We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much NOK is needed for 3 days in Oslo?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 1
How much NOK is needed for 3 days in Oslo?

I will be in Oslo for 3 days in June. I will be staying with a friend in town. The last time I visited Oslo several years ago, I made the mistake of taking out way too much money from the cash point. Generally, what is a reasonable amount in NOK to withdraw to cover transportation costs to and from Gardermoen, 1-2 meals out a day, and a couple tourist attractions? I'm a light drinker, so I don't plan on hitting up any bars necessarily.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
reviews: 28
1. Re: How much NOK is needed for 3 days in Oslo?

The cheapest solution is just to pay everything with credit/debit card and forget cash - assuming you have a card that doesn't rip you off with foreign transaction fees. Norway is now the closest you can get to a cashless society and there is no problem paying small bills with card, even a cup of coffee. Local transport tickets you can buy with credit card in Narvesen kiosks/shops. I really can't think of any situation recently in Oslo when I needed cash. Certainly larger bills such as transportation, restaurants and attractions I would pay with card. Restaurant bills can vary over such a large range that it is impossible to give you an estimate - reckon on 2 - 3 times what you spend at home - especially if you want a drink. Check out Oslo Pass visitoslo.com/en/…. For NOK 495 that will cover all your local transport needs and entry to attractions for 3 days. It can be bought at Gardermoen and cover part of the costs of travel to Oslo by local train (not airport express) if you add on supplementary tickets for 3 zones.

Kolbotn, Norway
reviews: 33
2. Re: How much NOK is needed for 3 days in Oslo?

You may find this link interesting ,I have found it to be fairly accurate.

Just copy and paste the link into your browser bar.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Norway&city1=Los+Angeles%2C+CA&city2=Oslo

Edited: 1:21 pm, May 21, 2013
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
3. Re: How much NOK is needed for 3 days in Oslo?

A recent article in the newspaper: osloby.no/shopping/….UZut-JXEDiZ

Open in Chrome browser on a PC for a translation (confusingly google seems to translate kroner as million and kort (card) as short!)

Oslo, Norway
reviews: 7
4. Re: How much NOK is needed for 3 days in Oslo?

Just use a visa, mastercard, or any other credit card (cirrus)

5. Re: How much NOK is needed for 3 days in Oslo?

And if someone would use a credit card, how much money would he need (THAT is the original question..)?

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
6. Re: How much NOK is needed for 3 days in Oslo?

And how long is a piece of string?

An Oslo Pass at NOK 495 plus NOK 80 in supplementary tickets covers all your transport and attractions. (correction to first post - you only need two supplementary tickets from Gardermoen).

A meal out could cost anything from NOK 50 to NOK 1000 (or more). Since you have been in Oslo before you have some idea how much you use on food, otherwise budget on 2 - 3 x what you would use at home and keep to that. Perhaps even ask your friend.

Edited: 5:02 am, May 25, 2013
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
7. Re: How much NOK is needed for 3 days in Oslo?

Sorry Adrienne, got confused and riled by someone highjacking your thread.

Edited: 6:45 am, May 25, 2013
8. Re: How much NOK is needed for 3 days in Oslo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 27, 2014