We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 3
NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

I am trying to purchase my train ticket from NSB.no. I read on their page that they are not currently accepting US issued credit card, and point me to another site, which does not offer Minipris tickets, and appears to be more expensive as well.

I am wondering if anyone has found a way to do this? I sent an email to their customer service, and it seems that they don't have an option - and have even said that they cannot sell a Minipris ticket without a non-US issued credit card...

Help!

Thanks!

63 replies to this topic
osprey
reviews: 1
41. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

I just used my USA issued Visa card at the regular NSB web site and bought the minipris tickets, received a confirmation number, entered it at train station and received my tickets. No problem at all!

osprey
reviews: 1
42. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

I just used my USA issued Visa card to purchase minipris tickets on the regular NSB web site. I received a confirmation number and entered it in kiosk at Oslo S received my tickets no problem.

Westchester, ny
43. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

I was able to purchase a Minipris ticket by creating a profile on the NSB website using my hotel address as my local (Norwegian) address. The phone number they ask you to use is for reference only....I put in the first required number of digits (I believe it was 8) as a phone number. I used a US issued pin and chip card which I obtained through the Andrews Air Force Federal Credit Union (I found out about this card through TripAdvisor and also through the Rick Steves website). It worked. This might work with a traditional US magnetic strip card, but I don't know that because I did not try that. I wanted the pin and chip card anyway for my holiday in Norway and Iceland.

Fremont, California
reviews: 12
44. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

We did experience a few small businesses in Norway that did not take American issued credit cards even if they are chip and pin.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
reviews: 23
45. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

That is a bit difficult to understand, was there any reason? I assume the card was either Visa or MasterCard. It's possible some small businesses would only take Norwegian bank debit cards. I ran into this type of problem in Danmark and Ireland with cheapo supermarket chains. And some cards require on-line terminals and won't work off-line.

Fremont, California
reviews: 12
46. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

That was our experience. I was expecting to be able to use my chip and pin card anywhere in Norway. It was a small café near the Oslo Opera House. She said that others also experienced that problem. We walked back over to the train station to find that the ATM there did not take my card either. We finally found a food vendor that took my card. I think that I used my ATM card and got cash back. We got the distinct message that it is better to use cash in Norway.

New York
47. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

I used the "online chat" on the website and was informed that the site simply does not take american credit cards. However, the woman told me to call and they could facilitate the transaction over the phone. They were able to send a one-time purchase link that accepted my US Visa card. Annoying because international calling isn't exactly simple, but it did work pretty easily from there and we were able to specify our seats. Hope this helps.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
reviews: 41
48. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

Did you tell your card company beforehand that you would go abroad ?

alabama
reviews: 16
49. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

They accept American Express credit card over the phone ! Purchase the minipris tickets 90 days in advance..!

Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 36
50. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

Is this a toll free number that you call?

Reply to: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted