We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 3
NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

I am trying to purchase my train ticket from NSB.no. I read on their page that they are not currently accepting US issued credit card, and point me to another site, which does not offer Minipris tickets, and appears to be more expensive as well.

I am wondering if anyone has found a way to do this? I sent an email to their customer service, and it seems that they don't have an option - and have even said that they cannot sell a Minipris ticket without a non-US issued credit card...

Help!

Thanks!

46 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 34
1. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

I think you need to make a phone call to make your reservation - perhaps a debit card would make the difference.

Minneapolis...
2. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

Thank you for your response. If I read the email that I received back correctly - it was made to sound like I wasn't going to be able to purchase minipris tickets even over the phone...

Frustrating!

Would love to hear if others have had any luck doing this some other way...

Minneapolis...
3. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

Update - and plea for help. I just called NSB, and now have been told they can't accept the card over the phone either - and suggested contacting a Norwegian travel agent.

Is anyone having luck booking tickets for NSB from the US??

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
reviews: 103
4. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

This is really poor service from NSB! I'm really sorry you are facing this issue. Have you got any friends or relatives in Europe who could help you secure the tickets online? Otherwise it sounds like a travel agent is your only option. Perhaps the travel agent is able to secure the Minipris tickets without a hefty fee.

Minneapolis...
5. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

Thanks for your sympathy! Everything else about the planning of the trip is going really well, so I really shouldn't complain too much.

The woman at NSB this morning was very kind - just had her hands tied as to what she could do.

I do have a niece who is studying over there, that I am working on... unfortunately, she has the "ugh... that seems like too much of a hassle" attitude... I am working on that, though :->

Oslo
reviews: 125
6. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

The Norwegian State Railways NSB say that they have iimplemented "3-D Secure" on all their card transactions. You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_Secure

In short, it implies a further identification step where you normally must use a code machine and a personal code to identify yourself, in addition to providing the customary expiration data and 3 digit security number that is printed on the card.

Cards not supporting 3-D Secure are not accepted in their web shop.

Most Norwegian cards support 3-D Secure, but it is less widespread outside western Europe.

New York City, New...
reviews: 1
7. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

Ugh. I am having this problem as well. Does anyone know if signing up for a MasterCard Secure Code for my US-issued credit card would resolve this issue?

http://www.mastercard.us/securecode.html

Thanks

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
8. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

Someone said it worked with the French railways, so worth a try.

Seattle, WA
reviews: 41
9. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

We are having the same issue with booking train tickets as well. We tried using the NSB website, but then found their page stating that you cannot book through NSB if you are in the United States and to use a different website. We tried using the other website they provided, scandinavianrail.com, but this is not working either. We then phoned Scandinavianrail, and they said their system is down.

We are feeling a bit lost.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
10. Re: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards

You can book through RailEurope, but you will not be able to purchase the discounted minipris-tickets.

http://www.raileurope.com/index.html

Edited: 3:32 pm, March 23, 2013
Reply to: NSB Minipris with US Credit Cards
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted