We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic train ride from Oslo

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Muscat, Oman
reviews: 31
Scenic train ride from Oslo

We will be arriving from Copenhagen during 1st week of Feb and are planning to take the Norway in a nutshell tour.

Is the train journey from Oslo to Bergen is very scenic or should we fly straight to Bergen to take NIN tour?

Also will we able to see the fjords in good daylight during Feb?

Appreciate your advice.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
1. Re: Scenic train ride from Oslo

The rail journey between Oslo and Bergen is considered scenic. It will be mostly snowy in February.

visitnorway.com/uk/…

Early February sunset is at around 5 pm, so the earlier the better.

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
reviews: 20
2. Re: Scenic train ride from Oslo

The Oslo-Bergen train journey is one of the most scenic in the world.

Daylight is limited in February compared to summertime, but not that bad as the Western Fjord are in the southern part of Norway. Sunrise in Bergen on 1st Feb is 0854 and the sun sets at 1651. On 28th. Feb the times are 0741 and 1803.

To get a feel for train journey you can see the whole trip: http://youtu.be/xgEY-57IBoA (filming was done October 9th 2009).

Muscat, Oman
3. Re: Scenic train ride from Oslo

Thanks Klim and Whiskey for the prompt and useful replies.

However, the NIN schedule says Oslo-Myrdal-Flåm-Gudvangen-Voss-Bergen-Oslo. Is this supposed to be a very scenic route? As I can see, only on our return leg we are covering Bergen-Oslo, by then it is already dark. I am a bit confused?

Oslo
reviews: 60
4. Re: Scenic train ride from Oslo

the NiN is basically the same as Oslo-Bergen: Oslo-Bergen is the main line, Flåm is a minor detour (an branch of the Bergen line). So if you travel Oslo-Myrdal-Flåm-Voss-Bergen you already cover 97 % of the Oslo-Bergen line.

5. Re: Scenic train ride from Oslo

I took the highly-touted "scenic" train ride between Oslo and Bergen in late August 2010 and was rather disappointed. I love train travel, and have enjoyed trains between Berlin and Basel that had some breathtaking views over steep wide open vistas. For the Oslo-Bergen ride we were mostly in and out of tunnels or passing thickly tree-lined train tracks that obstructed the view and frankly made me a bit motion-sick after 8 hours of creening my neck to try and catch a glimpse of the scenery. Perhaps it was the time of year. I must say the stops about 2 hours from Bergen - Flam for one - was just stunning and unreal and I wished I'd planned a stopover. On my next visit to Bergen via Olso later this year, I plan to fly direct into Bergen and then take the train 2 hours to see Flam/Myrdal, which I unfortunately missed last visit.

Muscat, Oman
6. Re: Scenic train ride from Oslo

Thanks nycnisa for providing a different perspective to the trip. Our original plan was to fly Oslo-Bergen and then take the NIN cruises. However, given the current weather conditions, we are a bit worried whether we can enjoy the outdoors and scenary, so we have postponed our trip to some time in March/April.

Yes we have travelled Berlin-Basel some years back on our way to Interlaken/Murren and the trip was fantastic.

Thanks again

Edited: 1:49 am, January 21, 2013
7. Re: Scenic train ride from Oslo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 23, 2014