We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out in Oslo.

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Virginia
reviews: 50
Eating out in Oslo.

I am reading several comments about how ridiculously expensive it is to eat in a restaurant in Oslo. Is that really true? Here, in America, my family of three spends about $60 - $70 (tip included) on dining in a typical restaurant.

1. How much can I expect the restaurant bill for a family of three?

2. What are the cheaper options for eating outside?

3. My son is allergic to eggs, nuts and peanuts. How is the allergy awareness in Oslo restaurants? Will they have problems understanding English?

We also plan to drive from Oslo to Aurland and stay there for 2-3 days as we see the fjords. Do my above questions apply to the Norwegian countrside as well?

Thanks,

D

Edited: 11:27 am, January 17, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
reviews: 41
1. Re: Eating out in Oslo.

This is useful for price information:

visitnorway.com/en/…

Also look up this:

visitnorway.com/en/…

English is spoken and understood by "everyone" - it is our second language in school.

Edited: 12:26 pm, January 17, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway
reviews: 19
2. Re: Eating out in Oslo.

In Oslo, the cheapest dining options are:

- Asian (Indian, Chinese, Thai, Vietmanese) restaurants

- Pizza restaurants

- Some cafés serving Norwegian and other European foods

- Fast-food places like McDonalds and Burger King

The tourist guide has a list of inexpensive restaurants and cafés:

visitoslo.com/en/…

Not on the list but a good place for visitors on a budget is Kaffistova, serving local Norwegian dishes: http://www.kaffistova.com/home

Oslo
reviews: 33
3. Re: Eating out in Oslo.

Norwegian will not rate highest on a list of allergy awarness. If your son is really, really allergic I'd talk to the manager at the resturant to make sure that there are no traces in his food. People will speak ok English and not have any difficulity understanding you. This goes for outside Oslo as well.

Eating out is unfortunatly quite expensive. To keep costs down go easy on the alcohol and look for good deals ("dagens"), all you can eat buffets etc.

The pizza chain Peppes do fairly ok deep pan pizza buffets, including a salad buffet. Usually for around NOK 100 per person.

One large pizza will be approx NOK 250-300 (will propaply feed two adults and a young child).

Other cheap options are "ethnic" places. I'd avoid the kebab places as the food is not good at all (should only be eaten by drunk students) and the service is really lacking. Look for more Thai and viet style places. mains usually starting at NOK 120 at the cheapest places. Service is usually ok.

Other possible places will have mains starting at NOK 150.

What type of food are you interested in, or what would you like to avoid?

If you are staying in a hotel the breakfast buffet is usually quite large, plentiful (more like a brunch) and usually always included in your room rate.

Tipping is optional. Servers do expect it, however they do get a decent hourly wage and are not dependent on it as in for example the US. If you want to tip, 5-10% is usually enough, or simply round up to the nearest 10/50/100 NOK depending on where you are.

No need to tip taxi drivers.

Oslo, Norway
reviews: 189
4. Re: Eating out in Oslo.

As mentioned tipping is optional, so the price you see is the price you pay - and if you're very satisfied you may leave a tip.

Ask for tap water - it's free and better than bottled water.

Most restaurants have main courses at 125-170 NOK. In my opinion the quality of the food served in Norwegian restaurants is better than in many other countries. I don't have any great suggestions for eating really cheap, but there are many good options if you're willing to pay 125-150 NOK per head.

Italian: Villa Paradiso, Olivia,

Asian cuisine: Tabibito,

Scandinavian/European: Fyret,

Tex mex: Mucho Mas

Cheap eats; Rice bowl, Curry & Ketchup, Peppes Pizza (pizzabuffet 99 NOK), Tullins Cafe

Oslo
reviews: 130
5. Re: Eating out in Oslo.

At for instance Risbolle, a recommendable thai restuaran near the central station, the main courses cost around 135 kroners. You will pay 35 kroners for a coca cola, so the cheapest you can get away with is 170 kroners per person. The food is really good, but desserts would come in additon.

So your family of three would spend 510 kroners as a minimum - about $86. A small tip is normal too, so say $90.

Be aware that fast food restaurants in Norway is not a cheap, simple option. A "burger with everything" might cost more than 100 kroners.

In most restaurants, students and immigrants without any knowledge of allergy might be waiting your table. If your son is critically affected by allergy, so that mistakes might be dangerous, you might have to stick to McDonalds or more expensive places with - hopefully - professional routines.

Massachusetts
reviews: 56
6. Re: Eating out in Oslo.

I just came back from two weeks in Oslo. I have an egg allergy and my son has other food sensitivities. It is VERY expensive to eat there. My son and I ate at the Hard Rock Cafe one night for dinner. Our meal consisted of a cheeseburger & fries, and the salmon dinner with potatoes and broccoli. We had two soft drinks. Before the 25% tax, the dinner was just over $60USD. The tax pushed it over $80.

That said, most hotels provide large breakfasts for free. There are corner delis that have reasonably-priced meal items. We also picked up items at a few grocery stores.

Allergy-wise: A lot of the pre-packaged sandwiches come with sliced eggs on them. It isn't hard to communicate with restaurant staff as most speak excellent English. Most places listed all of the ingredients quite visibly. The Norwegian for egg is egg and all of the other words were quite close to the English. I found that things were labelled as possibly containing or being cross-contaminated with nuts.

Usually, I look for vegan options, but found this to be very limited in Oslo. Deli DeLuca sells a vegan muffin, but it contains pistachios. Some restaurants were more allergy-sensitive than others. It is important to make sure that you specify both egg and mayonnaise as many waiters/waitresses did not realize that mayonnaise is egg-based. (I carry a card that contains a list of all the other egg words, such as albumin, etc.)

We never had a problem finding someone that spoke English. Be aware that the popularly sold bolle (round breads) are almost always egg-washed.

It is expensive, but I think your son will be fine finding food that he can eat.

Edited: 3:27 pm, February 07, 2012
7. Re: Eating out in Oslo.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, February 21, 2013