We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freshmarkets & Fishmarket(s) in Oslo?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Freshmarkets & Fishmarket(s) in Oslo?

I would like to know where the fishmarket is.. I heard it's at Aker Brygge, what are the hours & days of operation for the fishmarket?

and just wondering if the fresh catch is lower in cost than buying fish in the supermarket in oslo? and also please clue me in on fresh markets selling produce. please help. THank you.

Oslo
reviews: 9
1. Re: Freshmarkets & Fishmarket(s) in Oslo?

There are no fishmarket in Oslo like in Bergen. Most of the fish are caught elsewhere than Oslo. I think they are planning to build one. Most fish to Oslo is brought in at night to this market, not open to public: http://www.fiskehallen.no/english.html

The larger supermarket have fresh seafood. The largest fish counter will probably be Centra Colosseum, right across Colosseum Cinema, three minutes walk from Frognerparken.

The ones I know of: The store at Aker Brygge, Youngstorget, and one in Grønlandsleiret close to Brugata. Supermarkets like Ultra, Centra, Meny and maybe ICA will have fresh fish, but stores like Kiwi, Rimi, Rema and Prix won't have fresh fish.

If you are interested in really fresh fish, why not go fishing yourself in one of the 300 lakes around Oslo? It's not expensive, and if you are lucky you'll catch a trout you can have for supper at the campfire. Just bring some salt, pepper and lemon and you have a great meal.

PH

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Freshmarkets & Fishmarket(s) in Oslo?

Thank u very much for that information.. very useful. will check out the spots u suggested & will look more into the fishing idea ;)

Oslo
reviews: 14
3. Re: Freshmarkets & Fishmarket(s) in Oslo?

Like said in another post, there is no fish market. But local fishermen sell their catch at Rådhuskaia (city hall pier, adjacent to Aker Brygge), usually from early morning until early in the afternoon. Prices are definetively lower, and you will meet many people of Asian heritage among the buyers.

Kiel, Germany
reviews: 9
4. Re: Freshmarkets & Fishmarket(s) in Oslo?

Erm, it is a couple of years since I was told (by my norsk teacher) but there certainly *was* an early morning fish market on Saturdays on Aker Brygge? About 6am or some such ungodly hour...

5. Re: Freshmarkets & Fishmarket(s) in Oslo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, September 12, 2009