We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norway in March: Norway in a nushell...

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Athens
Norway in March: Norway in a nushell...

Hi, I will be visiting Norway with my brother in March. We are flying from Athens to Oslo on the 22th. We were invited by a friend to join him on a trip to Trysil and we both agreed that it was a rather tempting proposal. We also thought that since we travel to Norway we should also visit Oslo. So we are spending 3 nights at Oslo and 4 nights at Trysil. But while I was planning the trip I also found out about the "Norway in a nutshell" trip. This seems to me like a great opportunity to see the fjords and wonderful country side of Norway and of course Bergen. All in all it sounds like a trip I wouldnt want to miss.

However since we are staying in Oslo for only a few days we have to take the "one day" trip knowing that it is a little bit tiring.

. My questions now...

1. Do you think that it is worthwhile taking the trip at this time of year? What about views, nature etc.?

2. Since we are returning to Oslo by night train we are thinking of booking bed sleepers in order to get some sleep and rest. However this option is rather costly! (1500nok for 2 sleepers). Do you think it is worth the money? Are typical seats comfortable enough to get a sleep?

Thanks a lot in advance

Kostas

Bergen, Norway
reviews: 80
1. Re: Norway in March: Norway in a nushell...

Hello.

Norway in a nutshell trip in one day as a one way trip from Oslo is ok to my opinion for adults !

The train ride from Oslo to Myrdal will take you over the mountain plateau of the Hardangervidda and you will have a stop at the highest situated railwaystation in Norway - Finse - at the altitude of 1222 metres and hopefully see the glacier at some distance.

You will have complete day light both down the Flam valley and the ferry trip to Gudvangen. This time of the year, the bus from Gudvangen to Voss doen`t stop at Stalheim hotel or drive up the curved Stalheimskleiva as the road is closed, and so is Stalheim hotel.The bus drives along E16 between Gudvangen and Voss, but you will still have some nice views.

Going back to Oslo without booking a bed sleeper, you will have a an eyemask, earplugs, pillow and a travelling rug.

Have a nice trip.

Trysil is nice just now - I spent the last weekend there.

Athens
2. Re: Norway in March: Norway in a nushell...

Thanks for your quick reply!

I didn't expect that they would provide us with so many things to make sleeping easier. thanks for that info. However I would still like to know if the seats are comfortable enough for sleeping. The rest of our trip will be rather demanding (lots of sightseeing, snowboarding etc.) therefore a good sleep is of great importance to me. Wouldn't hesitate to pay the extra 1500 for the beds. But need to know it is worth. Thanks again for your answer!

Bergen, Norway
3. Re: Norway in March: Norway in a nushell...

Hello again.

I am not the one to tell if you will fall asleep on board a train sitting in a chair or not. I would not - but I would not fall asleep in a luxury seat neither on a train, plane or bus.

The seats are stuffed, are high-backed and can be leaned back.

If you can afford it - buy a sleeper !!

Grethe

Athens
4. Re: Norway in March: Norway in a nushell...

Your answers are of great help to me! Of course I wouldn't expect anyone to tell me if I'd be able to sleep there. But a simple description of the seat is what I needed. And you actually provided all that info. I'll discuss it with my brother and we'll see... Thanks a lot!

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 12
5. Re: Norway in March: Norway in a nushell...

We plan to fly to Oslo and stay but one night then take the Nutshell tour to Bergen were we will stay a few days. Can anyone advise the best general location closest to the Train terminal for the AM departure......or any specific hotel suggestions that would be convienent for such a one night stay. Thanks in advance, Ed

Bergen, Norway
6. Re: Norway in March: Norway in a nushell...

Hello epomer.

The closest hotel to the central station in Oslo is Thon Hotel Opera and Scandic Byporten, but you have quite many hotels nearby - depending on what budget you are travelling on.

Read more at:www.visitoslo.com

Grethe

7. Re: Norway in March: Norway in a nushell...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, August 28, 2009