We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Whales are back!

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tromso, Norway
reviews: 8
The Whales are back!

At Thursday the first humpback whales was observed outside the island Kvaløya (the whale island), about 35 km north of Tromsø.

Please check out this article - nordlys.no/nyheter/…article6971093.ece

One of the guide who will run whale tours this winter are Arctic Fishing Adventures !

Manchester, United...
reviews: 20
1. Re: The Whales are back!

Ooooooh I do hope they stay a while. We don't arrive in Tromso until the 14th of January. I am praying they stay until the 16th! I would love to see a whale in the wild! I shall keep my fingers and toes crossed.

Whaley Bridge...
reviews: 122
2. Re: The Whales are back!

We saw the whales last year - absolutely MUST DO for anyone in Tromso this winter. Absolutely made our trip! :)

singapore
reviews: 62
3. Re: The Whales are back!

Am I correct that sometimes the whales come into the fjords and if we are fortunate, we may be able to spot them during our stay at lauklines end of Nov?

Edited: 12:02 am, November 16, 2013
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
4. Re: The Whales are back!

Yes, I think you are right about that traveljet.

Tromso, Norway
reviews: 8
5. Re: The Whales are back!

Yes, people who stay at Lauklines can sit on theirs terrace and see the whales pass on 25 meters distance, if they are going close at shore like last year.

Here you can see some pictures and read (google translate) about this years whale visit in the fjords of Kvaløya, the Whale island!

Pictures taken in Kaldfjord, 25 km from Tromsø city - nrk.no/nordnytt/knolhvalens-etegilde-1.11362…

singapore
6. Re: The Whales are back!

Wow! Thanks GG :)

singapore
7. Re: The Whales are back!

Wow! Thanks GG :)

London, United...
reviews: 2
8. Re: The Whales are back!

We have just returned from a trip to Tromso for New Year - we saw lots of whales on 31 December 2013; what a way to see out the old year! We went with a company called Arctic Fishing Adventures. Our skipper was Charles Walker and his boat "Lady Elsie" was fantastic to get us up close to the whales - 10 of us plus a reporter from the local newspaper - Nordlys.no. Hope you enjoy your trip!!

London, United...
reviews: 12
9. Re: The Whales are back!

Does anyone know if the whales will still be in the area in the first week of February? We have a spare day before we fly home and wanted to do a cruise. Thanks!

10. Re: The Whales are back!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 14, 2015