We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso and area - June 2014

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kent
Tromso and area - June 2014

Hello

We are planning a trip to Tromso in early June next week, we have 5/6 days available.

Reading all the posts on the forum I think this would be too long to stay in Tromso (or do you disagree ?) I was thinking that we could fly into Tromso Airport (flights have already been booked) pick up a hire car and drive over to Lokvollen to see the Lyngen Fjord, maybe stay in one of the lodges at Manndale Sjoboer for two nights - what else is in that area to see ?

Then drive to Tromso and stay at the City Living Apartments for three nights and explore Tromso.

Are there any days trips from Tromso that you would recommend ? I think whale watching is too far away ?

Appreciate your views on the above and any advice you can give us.

Thanks in advance

Kim

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
11. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

It is a common misconseption that you will have to be on the water to enjoy a fjord. In my opinioin a fjord is better enjoyed from land than from water. In some very narrow fjords in western Norway a boat trip can add to the experience. Manndalen is in Lyngen and getting there from Tromsø you can take this route https://goo.gl/maps/FvweR including two ferries. That would be the closest you get to a "cruise" on the fjord.

The National Tourist Route page has maps. Google maps is another option.

www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en/senja#map

If you do the Brensholmen-Botnhamn ferry, you are crossing yet another fjord - Malangen.

Exeter, United...
reviews: 1
12. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

We will be in Hamn i Senja in June too and the nearest shop I have spotted so far is a Joker in Skaland. However we will be there during Whit weekend so it won't be open anyway! If you go via Botnhamn I guess you'll pass by Tromsø and there is a shopping centre near the airport. If you take the Rv86 there is a Co-op in Finnsnes. I believe many shops in the countryside don't open at all on Sundays.

13. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:58 am, February 08, 2014
Edited: 9:58 am, February 08, 2014
Tromso, Norway
reviews: 8
14. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

Please include to see the fjords of Lyngen by taking the ferries across the fjords on your way to Senja.

I should choose this route; Manndalen - around the fjord, by follow road E6 to north and Olderdalen - ferry to Lyngseidet - drive to Svensby - ferry to Breivikeidet - drive to Kvaløya via Tromsø (shopping) - follow road 862 via Kattfjord and Sommarøy to Brensholmen - ferry to Botnhamn - visit Husøy - Senjahopen - Ersfjord beach - Tungenes - Bergsfjord view, on your way to Hamn.

But, it`s alot to see om the way, so maybe an overnight on your drive.

Enjoy!

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
reviews: 23
15. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

On Whit weekend shops are open for shorter hours than normal on Saturday - latest closing 16:00, but that may close before (that Joker closes normally 15:00 on Sat). You also have an ICA at Gryllefjord, again closes at 15:00 on Sat. Both may close even earlier on Whit Saturday.

There are several supermarkets in Finnsnes - open late hours.

http://apningstider.com/spots?q=Finnsnes

Everything except petrol stations and some convenience shops (under 100 m2) will be closed on Whit Monday and all Sundays - whether in city, shopping centre or countryside. Many petrol stations are like convenience shops and have a basic selection of foodstuffs at inflated prices.

joker.no/Butikkene/Troms/Joker-Skaland/

http://ica.no

Open Norwegian sites in Chrome browser for translation

I can't see any saving in time on a 3 hour journey using a tourist ferry, presumably infrequent, timetable not published yet. Allow more than the 3 hours though for unfamiliar roads, stops etc. and the fact that it may not be possible to drive at nominal speed limit all the time.

Kent
16. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

Thanks everyone for your comments, very useful.

Kim

Kent
17. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

GuideGunnar,

Approximately how many hours would it take to drive from Manndalen to Hamn taking into account the three ferry journeys and sightseeing on the way? Also if we decided to break the journey with an overnight stay, where would you recommend to stay on the way ?

We plan to stay two nights in Manndalen, 2 in Senja and then 3 in Tromso (from where we fly home). Would you suggest that we have only 2 nights in Tromso and use the extra night to stay en route between Manndalen and Hamn ?

Thanks in advance

Kim

Tromso, Norway
reviews: 8
18. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

Not sure how long time this take, but there`s so much to see, so you should take a night at Rica Arctic Sommarøy hotel, before the ferry over to Senja, from Brensholmen.

One night is enough in Tromsø, when you already have done the surroundings, so spend 3 at Senja..;)

19. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 13, 2015