We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso going southbound on hurtigruten

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Regina, SK
reviews: 8
Tromso going southbound on hurtigruten

My family and I will be taking a hurtigruten cruise southbound from tromso in June. We have 2 young children, ages 2 and 9 months. The ship arrives at 11:45pm and departs 1:30am. Wondering what flight we should take from Oslo...should we arrive mid-day or in the evening. Does the port have restaurant and waiting area? Our kids are usually in bed by 830pm so wondering what to do before we board the ship as they will most likely fall asleep whil we wait. Worried about taking the last norwegian flight in case something happened and we miss the cruise. Any suggestions greatly welcome!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
1. Re: Tromso going southbound on hurtigruten

As far as I know the port does not yet have any proper waiting area and certainly no restaurant. One solution would be to have the evening meal in a nearby hotel and wait there. Even take a room if you find that necessary for the comfort of the kids.

Flights are normally on time in summer, so I do not think you should worry too much ablout late arrival. A late-ish arrival and you could wait at the airport and take a taxi directly to the dock around midnight. Less comfortable than a hotel - depends on the kids really. There is a café/kiosk at the airport.

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 65
2. Re: Tromso going southbound on hurtigruten

Arrival time very much depends how you view risk. Getting the last flight may be the best solution and then you will have a short wait. But if there was any small problem you could miss your ship. I don't like taking the risk so would always choose to arrive early.

There are several hotels close by so you could have a meal there and wait, could you see if they have a room?

Remember that it will be light all night so you will be able to walk around and see something of Tromso. Maybe your children will sleep in their buggies.

Have a good trip, we are also doing southbound in July.

Oslo
reviews: 130
3. Re: Tromso going southbound on hurtigruten

The Lofoten islands and the western fjords are famous, but there are many other pretty stages. My personal favorite is Helgeland, the landscape from Sandnessjøen to Rørvik.

There is not much to do on board. Bring toys and games for the children.

Tromso, Norway
4. Re: Tromso going southbound on hurtigruten

The cafe / kiosk at the airport close around 9 pm, and the port will begin the new terminal in 2014, so...

But, close by, you have Rica Ishavshotel where they also have a restaurant, and a nice lobby.

Radisson BLU are just beside Rica, and they have a lobby bar a cosy sofa.

Both hotels are working as waiting room for Hurtigruten and the shuttle bus to the airport...

Regina, SK
5. Re: Tromso going southbound on hurtigruten

thank you so much to everyone who responded! Great ideas and information!

6. Re: Tromso going southbound on hurtigruten

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 05, 2014