We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus and Coastal Steamer 8 hour trip

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ardglass
reviews: 5
Bus and Coastal Steamer 8 hour trip

I will be in Tromso for 6 full days from 19th evening until VERY early on 26th Feb. Have already booked with Kjetil Skogli for 23rd - thinking about the huskies trip - have looked at the bus and steamer trip but thinking cos it is a 4pm start that it will be dark for the full trip - I know it is a chance to see Northern Lights but ..... could anyone give me feedback on this trip and is it a good trip to do?

Also what r the " definitely not to be missed" trips

THANKS

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 29
1. Re: Bus and Coastal Steamer 8 hour trip

Hiya,

We did the bus and steamer trip a couple of weeks ago. It was dark the entire time and our reason for doing the trip was to look for the Northern Lights, which we saw.

The trip up to the coastal steamer is travelling on public transport - 3 bus/coach trips and 2 car ferries. You do get to see some of the surrounding area, but it is limited by the darkness. It is quite an experience travelling in the snow/ice covered roads.

The few hours on the steamer was definitely an experience I will always remember - it was like being on the Titanic! It was very very cold with ice out on deck. It was very beautiful sailing through the fjords in the dark and as it was a clear night in total darkness, we got to see lots of star constellations and the milky way.

My mum and I both really enjoyed this trip - it was quite a relaxing trip and didn't feel like it took 8 hours. There's also a lounge, bar and cafe on the boat if you don't fancy being out on deck for too long.

We also really enjoyed the dog sledding trip at the Wilderness Centre.

Have a good time!

Dublin
reviews: 2
2. Re: Bus and Coastal Steamer 8 hour trip

I have just come back from Tromso and I would say do the dog sledding! It is the most amazing experience ever!! We did the Inland Northern Lights dog sledding in the Lyngsfjord Alps. We got to drive a team of 5 dogs through valleys surrounded by the Alps. I would go back to Tromso again just for that experience again!

Ardglass
3. Re: Bus and Coastal Steamer 8 hour trip

where did you book this trip? and can you just sit back and let someone else do the driving!!!!? thanks for your reply

I assume it was very cold!!!

Dublin
4. Re: Bus and Coastal Steamer 8 hour trip

We went straight to the tourist office when we got there and they booked the trip for us. first I was "driving" the sleigh while my boyfriend was in the sleigh. At first before we started it seemed scary but as soon as the dogs started it was easy and so much fun!!! we swapped over half way and I sat in the sleigh while my bf drove. The scenery was amazing! the route was through valleys and the mountain back drop was undescribable! When you get there they give you a full thermol suit to put on over your clothes, along with additional socks, boots, gloves, jumpers. You do not feel the cold at all. we had -16 to -18! They also make a stop at a lavvu and give you a hot dinner with tean or coffee. Overall I would do it over and over agin :)

Ardglass
5. Re: Bus and Coastal Steamer 8 hour trip

Thanks Cardiffmanc and ChunkyMonkey for the info

What hotels did you stay in?

ChunkyMonkey what camera did u eventually buy? and did you go out with Kjetil Skogli on his tour when you were there?

We r staying in the Thon Hotel Polar

Dublin
6. Re: Bus and Coastal Steamer 8 hour trip

We stayed in the Clarion With hotel. It was really nice and informal and cozy :) I ended up buying a Samsung GX10 after a lot of research it seemed to be the best option for me and turned out to be what I wanted :) However the Northern lights decided to come out and play while I was there. We didn't manage to go out with Kjetil as he was completely booked out! You'll have a great time!! I'd go back there anytime, I hope you get snow when your over there. There was loads of snow around when I was there but it didn't snow :(

Cardiff, United...
7. Re: Bus and Coastal Steamer 8 hour trip

Hi Killard,

We stayed at the Radisson - mainly as we wanted a bath!

I just had a normal digital camera with me - my photos of the Northern Lights came out with a bit of editing of the contrast and brightness. I was very impressed as I wasn't expecting them to show up due to being told that you'd need a fancy camera with a long exposure time.

Cardiff, United...
8. Re: Bus and Coastal Steamer 8 hour trip

Re the dog sledding - we did it at the Wilderness Centre. They drove the sled and it was for about half an hour or so.

9. Re: Bus and Coastal Steamer 8 hour trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, August 15, 2009