We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Withdrawn currency questions ... old Norway coins still good

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Nordland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jackson
reviews: 1
Withdrawn currency questions ... old Norway coins still good

My first trip to Norway this September is exciting. My Aunt has offered me a handfull of Norway coins left-over from a Norway visit she made in the 1980's. She has about 200 Kroner in coins. Are these coins still legal tender in Norway? They include several coins like a medium sized 1 Kroner with a horse design (1962), a 5 Kroner large size coin with an image of Olav (1979) , and a 10 Kroner small coin with a deep 10 KR stamp (1983). The Norway bank website indicates these coins have been "withdrawn" from circulation. Does that mean they no longer can be used for transactions in Norway? .... or that they are no longer being made? Can they be exchanged for correct coins in Norway or should I just leave them at home? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

2 replies to this topic
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
reviews: 103
1. Re: Withdrawn currency questions ... old Norway coins still good

You cannot use the old coins as payment nor can they be exchanged. Leave them at home. We are also no longer using the 50 øre. Not relevant for you, but it is an good indicator on what the practice is for old coins:

…norges-bank.no/en/…

Edited: 5:33 pm, July 07, 2013
Jackson
reviews: 1
2. Re: Withdrawn currency questions ... old Norway coins still good

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will leave the withdrawn coins at home.

Reply to: Withdrawn currency questions ... old Norway coins still good
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted