We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Lillehammer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
reviews: 1
Day trip

My sister and I are planning a day trip from Oslo at the beginning of December and we're looking for recommendations on what to do. We're hoping to arrive as early as possible and will most likely get the last bus or train back to Oslo that night.

4 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
1. Re: Day trip

You can of course go to Lillehammer, but days are short in December, it gets dark around 4 pm. Trains at www.nsb.no

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
reviews: 23
2. Re: Day trip

Maihaugen is well worth seeing http://www.maihaugen.no/en/

and there is a list of other attractions around Lillehammer on that site. Note that many attractions closed on Mondays.

There is a small Christmas market, probably opens early December.

You'll want to catch an early train to make the most of daylight. You can save a bit with minipris rail tickets if you book in advance, otherwise might be best to wait until the last minute and check weatherforecast first.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Day trip

Thanks dyoll, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Do you think it would be possible to squeeze in a quick trip to the Olympic park in the morning as well or it would we be bit rushed? And I'm fully prepared for the short daylight hours!

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
reviews: 23
4. Re: Day trip

I could easily spend all day at Maihaugen, so when you ask if you could visit Olympiaparken in the morning as well then I am lost, especially since Maihaugen doesn't open before 11:00. Olympiaparken is more about doing things which will need to be booked and mostly only available at weekend olympiaparken.no/index.php/no/events-og-akti…

You'd better decide which one to give priority to. If it's Olympiaparken then book your activities and visit Maihaugen if you can fit it in.

Looks like there are Christmas markets at Maihaugen and in the town, best visited in the late afternoon twilight.

Edited: 11:27 pm, October 19, 2013
Reply to: Day trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted