We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lillehammer late december ?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Lillehammer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
derby
reviews: 50
lillehammer late december ?

hi all

i am looking for a snowy break just for 3 nights or so inbetwen xmas nad new year , 2 adults 1 child age 8 - we don't ski !!! but like to tobogan - would this be a good choice for us ? and whats best way to get there ? we are in the midlands i am assuming a flt to oslo ? ( who is cheap ?) and then train ?

any advice /suggestions apprecaited

thanks

Norway
reviews: 1
1. Re: lillehammer late december ?

Hello Spadge.

Welcome to lillehammer and Norway!

The best would be to take a plane to Oslo Airport gardermoen.Then train up here to Lillehammer, they go from right downstairs at the airport! Takes about 2 hours, nice ride!You will then go past our biggest in lake called Mjøsa.

Not sure if any trains go on the 25. You can check at www.nsb.no for times and prices. Also can buy tickets at a good price if you buy early.Kr.199.00 one way.Kids will pay the same. But the kid goes for free with one full paying adult. So maybe one full paying adult and one called minipris.On net.Only thing cant change the minipris ticket, only the regular.So have to know when you want to travel. Lillehammer is beautiful at christmas, and you can also take busses up to mountains to have a look, dont have to ski! There are several hotels in town. Some are walking dist.Let me know if you want any advice.Also, the town, stores are closed at dec. 25, 26,and 27.Open again on 28 and until new years eve.About cheap airfare i dont know.Here we often use www.finn.no and for hotel we use www.hotels.com

Hope you will take a trip here, enjoy! Gausdal.

Russia, Moscow
2. Re: lillehammer late december ?

Gausdal, hello

could you please advise to me too :). Our family (husband, myself and our son of 5 y.o.) is planning to come to Lillehammer on Dec, 30 (late night) for a couple of days to celebrate New Year night and leave on Jan, 1st to other part of Norway.

As far as I understand Hunderfossen Winterpark will not be working on Dec, 31 - is it correct? If yes - what else would you advise to do in Lillehammer on new year night so it would be interesting and memorable for a kid? May be there are some other entertainment are planned?

Norway
3. Re: lillehammer late december ?

hello kulykatia.

I will try to help you as much as possible. I dont belive Hunderfossen park will be open, but i will find out for you.

Some questions: You will probably come to Norway by plane? Oslo Gardermoen?

Will you rent a car? or use the train from Gardermoen to Lillehammer?

You only want to stay one night in Lillehammer?

And from Lilleh. will you use the train?

Just thinking you might have to buy tickets on train soon as it will be full at that time , beacuse of holliday. Also will have to find out for you if the trains go on those days, holiday! It might be ok to stay in a hotel that will have a nice selebration on new years eve and good food. That is if the park is not open. If it is open you can stay in hotel right next to the park! The hotel will have great menu for the evening etc. I will do some calling around, and let you know. also price. And find out about the train. Have a nice day.

Norway
4. Re: lillehammer late december ?

kulikatya

I see now you want to stay a couple of days.

Gausdal.

Russia, Moscow
5. Re: lillehammer late december ?

Gausdal, thank you!

We will come by air to Oslo airport. Going to take a car at the airport to come to Lillehammer. We plan to stay in Lillehammer from 30.12 till 01.01 (for a couple of nights). On Jan, 1st we are leaving to Røros.

I've preliminary booked a room at FIRST HOTEL BREISETH. From a description it will be good enough for 2 night. What do you think?

Could you please find out if any celebration / public performances / events / fire works or so - are planned in Lilleh for NY night?

I'm trying to make a program for celebration :)

Looking forward to hear from you!!

Oslo
6. Re: lillehammer late december ?

vinterparken.no/default.asp?V_ITEM_ID=572

The winter park at Hunderfossen will be open for guided tours Dec 30 (at 5 o'clock in the evening) and Jan 2 (so looks like it will not be open (except for groups) on Dec 31). But the winter park is in my opinion really nice.

I guess all the attractions will not be operated until Feb 13.

Norway
7. Re: lillehammer late december ?

Hello kulikatya

I have been calling around a bit and have a litle info.

The hotel you have reserved a room at in Lillehammer is just fine. Idrive by there all the time. It is really central, just right in town and have parking. The serve good breakfast. They do not have a restaurant for other meals i belive.Used to, but is now closed. It is an older hotel, but a good hotel i belive. First hotel Breiseth does not have any celebration on new years eve planned as for now. (i called to ask.) And like someone from oslo sayes the Hunderfossen Winterpark will open on dec. 30! Good for you! It is great! They do not have any celebration on the new years eve.

So maybe a visit to the park in the afternoon, evening of the 30.? They have a nice restaurant up there, belive it will be open, called the Trollsalen.

If you want to call the Winterpark for more info. tel. nr. is: 612-75530 (prefix 47 and probably some other to call out of your country.)

For celebration a couple of tips. The hotel called Raddison SAS hotel, 5 min from your hotel, always have a great new years galla buffet dinner, both for children and adults. They will have live band and dancing, also fireworks at midnight. Price is Kr. 565,00 pr. adult and half for children.

It might be difficult finding dinner anywere else at night that evening. Tel. nr. to Raddison SAS is 61286000.

And if you rather wanted to stay there, not Breiseth, it would cost kr. 2590.00 per room per night with breakfast and dinner every day. Inkl. the new years eve. But double chek that in case prices have changed. its a big hotel, very stylish and have a pool etc. ( Breiseth is fine too!)

Anothe option to see the fireworks is to maybe have dinner at the Raddison then drive up to the olympic skijump on top, its very nice, you will see the whole area and All the fireworks for sure! Be a litle early driving up, many others will too! And dress warm!

Well hope you find something you will enjoy, and welcome to Lillehammer!

Gausdal.

Russia, Moscow
8. Re: lillehammer late december ?

Hello Gausdal and Karsten99,

Thank you very much for your replies. Unfortunately, Hunderfossen park will not work for us as we come to Lillehammer on Dec, 30th late night (close to 10 pm). And leaving on Jan, 1st. So looks like no chance to visit it...

What time usualy fire works start on new year eve?

Norway
9. Re: lillehammer late december ?

hello

Sorry you could not make the winter park, maybe some other time. The fireworks defenetly starts at midnight! Will the litle one make it that late? Or maybe stay at Raddison SAS, and he could go to bed earlyer?

Just thinking.

Well happy planning.

gausdal.

Russia, Moscow
10. Re: lillehammer late december ?

Gausdal, you've advised "to drive up to the olympic skijump on top, its very nice..." - how is best way to get up there at new year night? can we go where by taxi? can we go where by our car? how does police works on NY eve - will we be punished for a glass of wine after a dinner? ;) In Russia any holiday night is a 'feeder' for police - they stay at every corner and stop all cars trying to find someone to penalize and take money... How strong police in Lillehammer in such a case these days?

Get answers to your questions about Lillehammer