We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flam to Bergen - Ferry or Ferry, Bus, Train

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Norway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
reviews: 1
Flam to Bergen - Ferry or Ferry, Bus, Train

I shall be travelling from Oslo to Flam by train in August, and then continuing to Bergen. For the onward journey, which would be best - ferry to Gudvangen, then bus to Voss then train to Bergen, or ferry direct from Flam to Bergen?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
1. Re: Flam to Bergen - Ferry or Ferry, Bus, Train

If you are asking for the best scenerywise, ferry to Gudvangen etc. would be the best. The ferry is through the Nærøyfjord from Flåm to Gudvangen (Unesco), is considered one of the scenic highlights in the area.

Bristol
2. Re: Flam to Bergen - Ferry or Ferry, Bus, Train

Many thanks. Yes, it is the scenic aspects of the journey that I'm interested in.

Bristol
3. Re: Flam to Bergen - Ferry or Ferry, Bus, Train

A further thought! If I take the ferry to Gudvangen, I could then get the bus back to Flam, ( only a 20 minute ride) and could then take the fast ferry to Bergen. In your opinion, which would be the most scenic: continue by land from Gudvangen to Bergen, or backtrack to Flam by bus and then take the ferry to Berge?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
4. Re: Flam to Bergen - Ferry or Ferry, Bus, Train

It is of course a possibility, but bear in mind that the fast ferry is a catamaran type passenger expressboat. The cabin is like wide bodied plane and views are limited unless you manage to secure a window seat. Even with a window seat the windows get sprayed with sea water and the visibility gets obscured. The high speed makes it inconvenient to be outside on deck - perhaps ok on one of those rare very warm days.

www.fjord1.no/default.asp…

IMO these boats are not well suited for sightseeing.

Bristol
5. Re: Flam to Bergen - Ferry or Ferry, Bus, Train

Thank you once again. Bus to Voss and train to Bergen it is!!

Singapore, Singapore
6. Re: Flam to Bergen - Ferry or Ferry, Bus, Train

Is it possible to take bus from Flam to Bergen?

Which is more scenic between bus and train?

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
reviews: 103
7. Re: Flam to Bergen - Ferry or Ferry, Bus, Train

PixieTan,

Please see the responses to your own post: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g230076-i1516-k595…

This is a very old thread from April, so I suggest you continue with your own post or start a new one.

The the bus and the train is equally scenic in March between Flåm and Bergen. There are lots of tunnels, so not very scenic except for Flåm Railway. Also keep in mind the daylight hours in March and unpredictable weather.

8. Re: Flam to Bergen - Ferry or Ferry, Bus, Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 11, 2013