We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from Vienna to Berlin

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Flight from Vienna to Berlin

Hello,

I have a question regarding flying from Vienna to Berlin. Our plane leaves at 8.00am. What time do we need to be at the airport to check in? Is it considered an international flight as you are travelling to a different country within Europe or are flights between European countries considered "domestic"?

Thanks for any help.

Kazzie

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
1. Re: Flight from Vienna to Berlin

Austria and Germany are both members of the SchengenGroup of countries- passports do not need to be shown for this trip.

While technically an international flight , one country to another, it will appear like a domestic flight.

Check with your airline about minimumm check- in time as it varies by line and destination.

The period from 6-8 AM is a very busy time at the Vienna Airport and I would suggest some extra time - more than the minimum suggested by the airline.

I assume that you may be flying Air Berlin at that time They usually have very firm rules regarding check-in time.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 30
2. Re: Flight from Vienna to Berlin

A flight between countries having signed the Schengen treaty is handled like a domestic one, what means no passport control. Nevertheless you should always have your passport available for a) ID and b) siuations in which Schengen is waived (very very very rare!). I just wanted to explain that Schengen doesn't mean to you can travel freely all the time.

Vienna is a small airport in comparison with other international hubs. Appear there at least 60 - 75 minutes prior to departure depending on the carrier you're booked on. AirBerlin stops checkin 45 min before scheduled departure time. I would be there around 90 minutes to have some extra time for unforeseeable circumstances.

If you need some advice regarding airport connection options use the search function of the forum.

Melbourne, Australia
3. Re: Flight from Vienna to Berlin

Thank you to you both for your advice. It is most helpful. And yes, we are flying Air Berlin, so we will definitely take your advice.

4. Re: Flight from Vienna to Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 22, 2009