We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wein>Budapest>Another Train Question>Flexibility?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Niagara Falls, New...
reviews: 6
Wein>Budapest>Another Train Question>Flexibility?

Greetings. We arrive in Vienna on July 21st and depart on Friday July 25th for Budapest. As it turns out, that is the beginning of the Formula 1 weekend in Budapest so things might be a bit crazy.

How likely is it that the trains will be full on the 25th and we will miss out if we do not pre-book a seat?

If we purchase a Railjet ticket online for on certain date & time, can that ticket be exchanged for another date and or time? So if we decided to leave in the 24th for some reason can we get credit for the purchased tickets? Or, if we buy a ticket for the 10:02 train i=on the 25th, could we decided to catch a later train if we choose?

I know that its a basic question and I did a search but I didn't come across this specify answer.

Thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Florida
reviews: 35
1. Re: Wein>Budapest>Another Train Question>Flexibility?

If you purchase a discount ticket, it is for a particular train on a particular date.

If you purchase a full-fare international ticket (much more expensive) it is valid for, I think, 30 days. Somebody has to help me with that "figure". However, I know it is at least 30 days from the date you choose to start its validity.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
2. Re: Wein>Budapest>Another Train Question>Flexibility?

All the discounted tickets for that day (€19/€29) have been sold out. However you can buy a full-priced ticket (€39) up until the time of departure as they do not sell out. You can buy on-line (choose the Standardpreis International option) from www.oebb.at/en or at the station on the day of travel and you can use the ticket on any train you like between the cities within the space of one month. You can also make a specific seat reservation for an extra charge at the time of booking if you book on-line, or up to I think three hours before departure (I believe - correct me if I am wrong) if you book in person.

Edited: 9:20 am, July 07, 2014
Niagara Falls, New...
3. Re: Wein>Budapest>Another Train Question>Flexibility?

Great advice! Thank you. Yes the discount tickets are all sold out. So I'll probably just purchase the non-discounted seats and play the rest by ear. We've only had limited expense with European train service, within Italy (easy to use and understand, friendly train station workers) and Hungary (not so easy to use, not so friendly train station employees).

Thank you again.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
4. Re: Wein>Budapest>Another Train Question>Flexibility?

Will you be continuing anywhere after Budapest?

Niagara Falls, New...
5. Re: Wein>Budapest>Another Train Question>Flexibility?

Nrrno,

Not via train. We will also visit family in Tokaj for a couple of days for which we will rent a car in Budapest.

Niagara Falls, New...
6. Re: Wein>Budapest>Another Train Question>Flexibility?

Booked the Jetstar from Vienna to Budapest 2nd class. A nightmare. No seats, no room. People sitting in the aisles. A mess. Upgraded onboard to 1st class, plenty of room....no issue except the upgrade only counted for Austria. When we reached Hungary, we had to pay for an upgrade once again and we had to move because the seats we had selected in Austria were booked already in Hungary. Bottom line. Should we travel that route again via train, we will purchase 1st class reserved seats.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 79
7. Re: Wein>Budapest>Another Train Question>Flexibility?

Presume you mean the Railjet. That's very unusual. When exactly did you travel - wondering if it was a holiday or something?

Niagara Falls, New...
8. Re: Wein>Budapest>Another Train Question>Flexibility?

Railjet. Correct. We caught the 10:03 at the Meidling station Friday July 25th. I've traveled via rail between cities in both Hungary and Italy in the past and each journey there were always seats to spare. This was totally different and a total surprise.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 30
9. Re: Wein>Budapest>Another Train Question>Flexibility?

I am surprised either! Thanks for reporting your negative experience, so that we can inform other fellow travelers in the future!

Reply to: Wein>Budapest>Another Train Question>Flexibility?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted