We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in vienna

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Antwerp
reviews: 1
2 days in vienna

Hi,

I have two nights in vienna with my family (wife and 5 yr old son). we are not too much into museums. we would certainly like to take a cruise over danube. please advise how to utilise these one and half days here. are cruises very expensive. we are not lloking for dinner cruise.

we are staying at mercure europlatz, near the westbahn rail station.

thanking you in advance

Vikash

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
11. Re: 2 days in vienna

For public transport in Vienna

www.wienerlinien.at

english version also.

If you stay near to the Westbahnhof- they have a ticket office in the lower level on the way to the U-bahn platform.

they can sell you tickets and also a map of the system and answer questions.

Schönbrunn is a good place for adults and kids.

The zoo is in the Garden - right side before the hilly woods.

Another opportunity is a ride on the small train that makes a trip through the garden or the horse- drawn carriage- always fun for all.

Look to

www.ddsg-blue-danube.at

for info on boats.

You can catch the Vienna sightseeing boat at Schwedenplatz ( easy to reach by subway U-1 to Schwedenplatz stop. You make a round trip or go 1/2 way to the Reichsbrucke stop on the Danube- a short walk back to the U-bahn Vorgarten stop - again U-1 back to city center in 10 minutes.

Have fun!

Antwerp
12. Re: 2 days in vienna

Thanks a TON

Newark, Delaware
reviews: 11
13. Re: 2 days in vienna

My husband, son, girlfriend, and myself took the train to Melk and the boat ride down the Danube to Krems. We had no problems at all but make sure you check the train times in Krems for your return trip and also when the boat will leave Melk. It was very very very hot when we took this boat ride which might have made it less enjoyable for us. None of us think we would do it again but like I said, it was very hot and the boat was very crowded. I also am not sure how your five year old son would enjoy the ride as it is rather long for a little boy. I am the mother of four boys and not sure if mine would have been amused at that age but on the other hand, it certainly beats a five year old in a museum!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
14. Re: 2 days in vienna

For Masterpez:

I did not recommend the Melk- Krems boat ride that you refer to. The one I advised about is a trip in Vienna only- Note access to and from by subway- U - Bahn.

Antwerp
15. Re: 2 days in vienna

Yes Vertical recomended me dnaube river cruise for half a day at Vienna. Thanks for your inputs anyway.

I will be visiting salzburg for 2 nights and st. wolfgang for one night and halsttatt for one night before reaching vienna. From halsttatt there is a direct train to vienna at 1.32 pm which takes 3.5 hrs. I have read in forum discussions that first class ticket or seat reservation is not required.

from salzburg i will travel to st. wolfgang first by bust to st. gilgen and then from there take a ferry to st. wolfgang. Vertical are you aware how far is st. gilgen ferry station from bus stop. we will have two luggages 9not heavy ones though). i have asked this question at st. wolfganag forum, but didnt get a reply till now.

Kind regards

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 10
16. Re: 2 days in vienna

Just regarding your question about the distance from the St Gilgen bus stop to the ferry - you should get off at the St Gilgen Busbahnhof stop (there are several stops in St Gilgen but this is the one closest to the ferry). Go straight down the hill (there's a road to the left of the bus station leading down towards the lake, I think that's the quickest route) and you will reach the lake and ferry station - it is 5 mins easy walk so shouldn't be a problem with your luggage.

Rol

Antwerp
17. Re: 2 days in vienna

Great! thanks a lot. Since i didnt get a reply earlier, I thought you were on vacation Rol.

18. Re: 2 days in vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 13, 2009