We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train advice for Brataslava-Vienna-Salzburg leg

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, OR
reviews: 40
Train advice for Brataslava-Vienna-Salzburg leg

Hello everyone,

As part of a month-long trip to Europe this summer, I will be taking the train from Bratislava to Vienna, then on to Salzburg (after 3 nights in Vienna). For whatever reason, Vienna seems to confuse me as far as the multiple main train stations go, but I think I may have things at least mostly figured out now after a bit of research. However, I would like some feedback from the experts to make sure I’m on the right track and not missing anything.

- Bratislava Hlavna Station to Vienna HBF

- From Vienna HBF, take Underground to Hotel Stefanie at Taborstraße 12

- On Google Maps, it looks like closest station in named “Sudtiroler Platz” but the nice interactive map at http://www.wien.gv.at/stadtplan/en/ seems to indicate the same stop being now called “Hauptbahnhof”, which would make sense.

- It looks like that red line will take me directly all the way to the Schedenplatz stop, which is very close to my hotel.

- Vienna Westbahnhof to Salzburg HBF

- From Hotel Stefanie, board Underground Red line to Stephansplatz, change to U Orange line and take directly to Westbahnhof station

Does this seem like the most reasonable and effective route to take for this trip? Anything I’m missing?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Jim

7 replies to this topic
Vienna, Austria
reviews: 1
1. Re: Train advice for Brataslava-Vienna-Salzburg leg

Hi Jim,

the route you mentioned makes sense, I probably would do the same.

Helmut

reviews: 44
2. Re: Train advice for Brataslava-Vienna-Salzburg leg

Hi Jim,

That's exactly how I would go, in fact I have just arrived in Vienna this morning (albeit by bus) and am going to Salzburg the same way.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 75
3. Re: Train advice for Brataslava-Vienna-Salzburg leg

Please note that although the underground lines are distinguished by different colours on maps etc they are more commonly referred to by their line numbers. The red line is U1 and the orange U3. The station at the Hauptbahnhof is technically called Südtirolerplatz-Hauptbahnhof. Buy tickets at Hauptbahnhof from the various machines. A single journey costs €2.10, but a 72 hour card may be of interest to you.

Portland, OR
reviews: 40
4. Re: Train advice for Brataslava-Vienna-Salzburg leg

Thanks for the confirmation and tip about the numbers being used more than colors. I will most likely be purchasing a 72-hour transit ticket since it seems they are only about 7x the cost of a single journey. Not that I'm opposed to walking long distances by any stretch of the imagination but in some instances, I would take transit just to save time through an area I have already seen. Passes are also usually less hassle to use, assuming it's the kind that is validated upon first use then you simply just have to flash the card on any subsequent trips.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 75
5. Re: Train advice for Brataslava-Vienna-Salzburg leg

You do validate on first use. Thereafter just carry the ticket in case of inspection. Entry and exit to all transport is barrier free and works on an honesty system. But there are undercover inspectors.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
6. Re: Train advice for Brataslava-Vienna-Salzburg leg

If you get the train, the ticket from Bratislava includes a transport pass for the day that you arrive in Vienna, but it is cheaper and more convenient to get the bus.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 28
7. Re: Train advice for Brataslava-Vienna-Salzburg leg

Be advised that there are two train operators running trains between Vienna and Salzburg:

Op 1: Austrian Federal Railways ÖBB (www.oebb.at/en)

Op 2: WESTBAHN (www.westbahn.at)

Reply to: Train advice for Brataslava-Vienna-Salzburg leg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted