We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red and white poles

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 58
Red and white poles

We just returned from a very enjoyable trip to Vienna but were wondering about the red and white striped poles leaning against various buildings. Are they something to do with snow?

Here in London, leaving poles with sharpened ends lying around would either lead to (1) the poles being stolen by students to decorate their flats or (2) people trying to kill/maim other people with the pointed ends.

I'm sure they must have a use, but I couldn't figure out what it was.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 28
1. Re: Red and white poles

This signals that snow might fall down from the roof due to thawing.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 47
2. Re: Red and white poles

See them all over Austria.

Means don't walk here unless you want a ton of snow to land on your head. :-)

Would not be allowed in the UK due to Elf and Safety crowd. You would need a barrier in front of them and warning signs.

If you look at the roofs you will also see metal protrusions and bars these are designed to stop big lumps of snow sliding off the roof.

Have you seen cars with the wiper arms pulled away from the glass?

It's to stop big lumps of snow sliding down and snapping the wiper arm. Do that in the UK and they would be snapped off by the mindless idiot brigade.

London, United...
reviews: 58
3. Re: Red and white poles

They seemed to be placed about every 50 meters on the pavement. I'm not sure how one could have avoided all the places where the poles were. But thanks for the explanation. I was genuinely puzzled.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 41
4. Re: Red and white poles

they dont really make sense as everyone put them out. The house owner still has to check if the snow have to be removed.

5. Re: Red and white poles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 20, 2014