We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Booking.com Dependable?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
reviews: 63
Is Booking.com Dependable?

I was looking at rooms at Hotel am Stephansplatz on Booking.com and there were several posts that said that after reserving rooms through that website, their reservations were not honored and they were moved to Hotel Topaz (which didn't look bad at all). I have not booked through them before and wonder if it's worth the savings it offers.

Thanks for ALL advice - Trip Advisor is FABULOUS!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 71
1. Re: Is Booking.com Dependable?

I've used booking.com without problem. But whenever I book through a third party I always contact the hotel to make sure they have the reservation.

Virginia
reviews: 63
2. Re: Is Booking.com Dependable?

Excellent suggestion - thanks very much.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
3. Re: Is Booking.com Dependable?

You might also like to try using trivago.com. They compare the hotel wholesalers to see who has the best prices for your dates.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 36
4. Re: Is Booking.com Dependable?

I use them all the time. Very good

But I always do what Norman said. Check with the hotel.

That story sounds more like one hotel deliberately over booking to try and get their occupancy rates up.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Ghana, Vienna
reviews: 4
5. Re: Is Booking.com Dependable?

I use them all the time too without problem. I also agree it sounds more like a problem with the hotel overselling than the website misleading.

Vienna, Austria
reviews: 1
6. Re: Is Booking.com Dependable?

Overbooking is a common policy wheter it is a hotel or an airline they want to fill rooms/seats by 100 percent. So when hotel am Stephansplatz cared for an alternate hotel it means they knew that the clients had valid reservations and at least the room rate will not be higher.

Checking with the hotel in advance might be a good solution but some booking platforms - and I don't know the bookinc.com policy - send the reservations just some days before arrival and it might happen that your hotel does not know anything about the reservation yet.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
7. Re: Is Booking.com Dependable?

When I've used booking.com and then contacted the hotel they have always received the booking.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 36
8. Re: Is Booking.com Dependable?

Same here using booking.com

Hotel gets the reservation straightaway in my experience.

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 10
9. Re: Is Booking.com Dependable?

I've booked a few times with booking.com but I think I cancelled all the bookings before I used them! Normally I book either direct with the hotel or with www.hrs.com. I've used HRS a lot for Austria and Germany and never had a problem.

Cork Ireland
reviews: 28
10. Re: Is Booking.com Dependable?

We use booking.com usually. However in sept we booked hotel stephansplatz with easytobook.com - at great (much reduced) price. We did have to pay in full on booking. I checked with hotel to make sure we were booked. Really liked hotel - best location!