We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna - itinerary for 1.5 days

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Haifa, Israel
Vienna - itinerary for 1.5 days

Hi,

I land in Vienna 6 am 25/1 , and leave 8 pm 26/1.

I'll be alone, do not speak German (and average - English).

Already booked simple hotel in the historic center.

Never was in Vienna before.

Planned itinerary:

1. Schloss Schönbrunn

2. Kunsthistorisches Museum

3. Get some rest, eat, etc

4. Stephansdom + walking around if weather permits

5. At night - go to some music venue. May be church concert. What can you recommend ? Opera has ballet at this date - not for me.

Next day:

1. Albertina, and nearby museums (Hofburg) - what do you recommend ?

2. Eat, + walking around if weather permits

3. Around 5 pm - back to airport.

What do you think ?

Thanks,

Milford, Ohio
reviews: 91
1. Re: Vienna - itinerary for 1.5 days

Schonbrunn and the Kunsthistorisches Museum will take the entire day of you go though both of them. Also, if you go to Schonbrunn and take the tour, there is no need to also go to the Hofburg. They are very similar.

At St. Stephans, you can take either the elevator or the stairs to the top of the towers and see a great view of Vienna, You can also take a tour of the catacombs. That's pretty interesting. The Kaiser Grufts are also in the center of town if you are interested in that sort of thing.

In which hotel are you staying?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 6
2. Re: Vienna - itinerary for 1.5 days

I have found that not speaking German is not a great handicap in Vienna. I could only say Gruss Gott and Danke and some numbers, and I found that most of the locals knew at least some English.

I think your itinerary is very ambitious for 1.5 days. I would say see Schonnbrun on the first day, and choose either Albertina or Kunsthistorisches Museum on the second day. In the case of the Schonnbrun you can spend all day there, since you can visit the palace and explore the grounds and even visit the zoo if you choose. The Kunsthistorisches Museum could also take all day if you wanted.

Haifa, Israel
3. Re: Vienna - itinerary for 1.5 days

I will be staying in Austria Hotel.

Thanks for the tips

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 75
4. Re: Vienna - itinerary for 1.5 days

Your hotel is very central. I agree that there is no need to do both Schönbrunn and the Hofburg's state rooms. If you do Schönbrunn then the only thing I'd see at the Hofburg is the Treasury (Schatzkammer). If you we're choosing between the KHM and the Albertina I'd definitely opt for the KHM. I wouldn't overdo the museums in a short stay, but spend more time just wandering the historic centre and the Ringstrasse.

Haifa, Israel
5. Re: Vienna - itinerary for 1.5 days

I will be staying in Austria Hotel.

Thanks for the tips

If choosing between Schönbrunn and Hofburg - what is better to visit ?

I think I'll leave Schönbrunn for the next visit(which sometime will be full blown family visit with small children), anyhow i would skip outdoor complex due to the winter weather, and children wouldn't want to spend much time in Hofburg.

P.s.

I tried to reply to the third comment, but somehow app only let me edit my first answer.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
reviews: 147
6. Re: Vienna - itinerary for 1.5 days

I'd save Schoenbrunn for a later family visit, perhaps in the warmer season when you'll fully appreciate the park and the very nice zoo.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Ghana, Vienna
reviews: 4
7. Re: Vienna - itinerary for 1.5 days

A few suggestions - 1) go to a cafe (Demel, Central, Hawelka, for example); 2) stroll through the Naschmarkt (stop for a bite); 3) visit the Rathaus and see the ice skating spectacle (especially nice after dark); 4) consider the Belvedere as an alternative to the other museums you have listed (or go to the Leopold in the MuseumsQuartier).

Haifa, Israel
8. Re: Vienna - itinerary for 1.5 days

Thanks for all, so now here is my revisited agenda:

Planned itinerary:

1. Kunsthistorisches Museum

3. Get some rest, eat, etc

4. Organic Music Concert at St. Peter (3 pm)

5. Stephansdom + walking around if weather permits

6. JazzLand

Next day:

1. Albertina, and nearby museums (Hofburg).

2. Eat, + walking around if weather permits

3. Around 5 pm - back to airport.

Nuremberg, Germany
9. Re: Vienna - itinerary for 1.5 days

For Next day: make number 2. Eat, + walking around at Naschmarkt and you will be perfect ;)

Haifa, Israel
10. Re: Vienna - itinerary for 1.5 days

@la0wei:

Done :)

Thank you.